Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 Blocks

Warsash 2

V8 Blocks

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
Is there an easy way apart from the numbers to tell a V8 saloon block from an early SP one when fitted in the car.
Regards

Colin

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: V8 Blocks

Post by A.N.Other »

Is it just a block or does it have any parts attached.
I think the rearcrank seals are different and the saloon cam chest differs.
Try Robert Grinter web site it shows the main differences.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

the number sequencing on SP250 V saloon engines is thus :- SP 250 has 5 digits , prefixed by either 8 or 9... saloons commonly have one extra digit..and the prefix is either 7A or 7H .
there are a number of difference between saloon and SP cylinder blocks.. the most easily noticeable on teardown being the rear main bearing cap and its seal to reduce oil leakage past car main bearing.... the saloon block has provision for a rope type seal and has 4 retaining bolts.. the 2 rearmost accessible without sump removal..the SP has a metal ring type rear seal.. there are 'other' differences but the 2 styles of block are interchangeable ..Im reliably informed, the later SPs used the saloon block ..
As i recall there are issues with different sump designs relating to contour of rear main bearing cap on early style and later SP cylinder blocks.. necessitating modification of sump at rear via cutting and welding to fit an 'early' SP 250 sump to a later style block..

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Thanks for this
Regards

Colin