Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

rack and pinion conversion .

Kevpope

Re: rack and pinion conversion .

Post by Kevpope »

Hi, I also have R&P , fitted many years ago by Phillip at Autotec.

Huge improvement and from a safety point of view much, much more reassuring to know that a 10mm diameter spear is not coming my way in the event of an accident. So I tackled the DVLA and the DVSA on the issue of MOT status. Yes, it is a major change from the original car, BUT undoubtedly a safety issue.

DVSA have team of experts drawn from various Classic Car clubs, but no one could rule on this issue. So they directed me to DVLA who allegedly have a points system to determine if ones car falls in the no MOT requirement. A score under 8 on their system is the target.

NO one at the DVLA had a clue what this points system was. They all agreed my car does not need an MOT, amazed that there was even a question about it. BUT, finally, if ever challenged by the law it is down to me to persuade them the car complied with the no MOT requirement.

So it seems to me that as a club we should all affirm that the conversion is a major safety improvement.
Cheers
Kevin

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Kevin.

I have as I said earlier declared my car MOT free and have decided to fight the issue should I come unstuck.

I argue that it does not take an expert to see that the mounting of the old column is very close to the front of the car has no safety section and therefore must make the driver vulnerable in a head on collision.

Yes it is very low down and would go under most modern vehicles, but there are many very solid obstructions that an SP could collide with, stone walls etc and as you say there is only one way that column is going in such a collision. The design/layout would never pass current car safety regulations.

I agree the club could make a judgement and publish it's opinion on this, but as to giving an assurance that a R&P conversion is or is not an MOT issue, that would make anyone issuing such a decision vulnerable should the law get involved.

It would be better if several of us declared our intentions and then reported the result should we ever be challenged.

As I see it, this will never happen unless someone has an accident in an SP which could raise the issue. I very much doubt a Police officer at a road side inspection would even know there had been changes made.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

A policeman at the road side probably wouldn't, but in the event of a death the accident investigating officer would, they would go through the car with a fine toothcomb with regards its compliance to roadworthiness, this includes any accident where there is a death, ie pedestrian or any other vehicle. I understand there is no common mounting for the R&P, some are bolted others are welded brackets, using various racks. Perhaps if you have R&P installed then the car should go to a vehicle inspection station and the modifications assessed and an appropriate certification issued. Me I will stick to the original, it was good for racing and on the road without causing me any problems.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi , some very interesting points regarding the R&P conversion , I am sure the kit that Robert Grinter supplies must be very good but are there any others being manufactured at this time ? Regards , Terry.