Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 250 Saloon: rubber gear shift gaiter

sidfish

V8 250 Saloon: rubber gear shift gaiter

Post by sidfish »

The rubber gaiter for my manual gear shift is disintegrating... I can’t find a replacement !

Is there any truth to the rumour that some high tech spark is able to 3D print one?

Thanks!

buckfield

Re: V8 250 Saloon: rubber gear shift gaiter

Post by buckfield »

Hi, use the mk2 jag one, just glue or bond it onto the remains of your old one, done this on my man/od v8 years ago still good, just use very strong glue. tony

sidfish

Post by sidfish »

Thanks Tony. I will see if I can make that work. I was initially advised that www.minispares.com with part number CZH4278 was the closest gaiter similar gaiter but the screw placements are one the four corners rather than on the sides of the gaiter ... I look to a MK2 gaiter and see about the glue. Maybe Loctite 4105 is a tough enough glue ...

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I have a Porche 911 gator on my manaul 250 modified to fit.

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, as usual just trying to get something to fit, on another Daimler/mk2 part is the later steering column thrust washer,http://www.jagspares.co.uk/Manners/part ... 762%2F1%2A ,which used to be £2 is now a massive £37 and the cheapest is from MR at £12 if they have that part in stock. yes inflation but really come on! tony

sidfish

Post by sidfish »

Sydsmith wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:48 pm I have a Porche 911 gator on my manaul 250 modified to fit.
Hi - interesting solution ... what year Porsche 911 was the best fit?

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Not exactly sure which year the Porsche was, my son has a thing about them and has four, he bought a stripped 1972 car which came with a load of bits in the front boot. This was included in the bits and I guess it was 1972, certainly looks similar to the one on the 73 car he was rebuilding at the time.
I had to cut some rubber off and mould the rubber to fit under the screws, but it seals the noise and fumes out perfectly and with the carpet over it you can only see the flexible part which looks fine. Syd

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

It seems odd that these gaitors are not avaibale.. its the same part as wa used on the later mk2 jaguars .(not fully sure but I believe introduced in '65 with the full synchro gearbox) and there are several companies that do full high end rotations who must have found something to fit.... the manual 420 also has the same gaiter.. some people have fitted the earlier Mk2 type which is round.. both XJ6 and E type have oblong gators that fit same housing, but the hole for lever is not cenrjtal on those applications.. but approx 3/4 way back.. if anyone has a solution and a cross reference part that is easily obtainable and can be used.. this would be useful information..