Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

what happened next....?

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

what happened next....?

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

JohnM

Re: what happened next....?

Post by JohnM »

Please tell me he didn't get you, Nick :o :o
John
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

JohnM wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:43 pm Please tell me he didn't get you, Nick :o :o
John
I'm afraid (s)he did John....

...but it could have been a lot worse. The video footage was captured by a following driver on his dashcam - what are the chances of that? A real gentleman, he stopped a bit further on, walked back to the scene of the accident and gave me his name and address as a witness; after getting home he emailed me the video.
You can view the un-edited footage here (run from the beginning, it starts at 1:28) - includes the owners comments on the ability of the other driver involved!

Car goes in for repair on Wednesday.
Nick

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I was nearly side-swiped by a double decker bus once, in about 1969.

It was on a dual carriageway where there was a bus layby. A bus started to leave the layby and I assumed that it would continue in the empty left lane so I moved alongside in the right lane, but to my surprise the bus carried on moving across the left lane into my lane. There was no reason for that other than we were about 200 yards from a roundabout where he may have wanted to turn right. No indicators showed on the bus.

The Dart is so low that the driver obviously didn't see me in his mirror.

I moved sideways over the central kerb which was a nasty clout for the offside front wheel, but I don't think we touched and neither of us stopped. When I got home I found that there was no scratch and the steering still seemed to be OK.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

I would wait a couple of weeks before having t repaired, I had a similar incident when a French registered Peugeot drifted into my lane, the only damage to me was apparently some white paint from them was transferred to my SP, my wire wheel knock on's cut in to their front wing and tin opened it to the A post, agreed no damage to me and went on our way, two weeks later there were hairline cracks from the flare above the wheel to the top of the wing. That was a real pain to get rid off.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Ian Slade wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:10 am ...... two weeks later there were hairline cracks from the flare above the wheel to the top of the wing. That was a real pain to get rid off.
A good point Ian. The accident happened on the 12th of May and re-examining the point of damage - which initially seemed very localised - I can now see a network of hairline cracks around the point of impact. My repairer was rightly wary of what seemed very minor damage and has quoted for refinishing the complete front wing, firstly to minimise the blend in areas but also to allow for any damage not immediately evident. Hopefully an invisible repair will be the result!
Nick