Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 Cam Chest.

Warsash 2

V8 Cam Chest.

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
I have been advised that I should fit a cam chest from a V8 saloon when rebuilding a SP engine as it is stronger, and has bronze bushes fitted for the cam followers. Where the SP just run in the casting. Has anyone any views on this.
Regards

Colin

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: V8 Cam Chest.

Post by tjt77 »

Colin, the saloon engine had number of 'upgrades' over the early SP 250 engine.. so its wise to use them if you under rebuild and have the parts available.. the bores for the tappets are a 'rapid wear' area.. so its wise to upgrade to the style with bronze bush inserts and add some longevity.
Some of the early saloon cam chests have 2 additional fasteners along the centre (they are 1/4" NC) that screw in the the cam bearing towers.. its almost impossible to tap threads in the corresponding holes in the cam towers with cam bearings installed.. so if you have this style cam chest, its important to block those 2 holes in the alloy casting.. easy to achieve with a 5/16 tap and threaded plug ... most dont have these holes.. they are not common, but I thought it worth mentioning..

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Are you looking to do a million miles a year ?
If so then do everything you can do to upgrade your engine.
If not then just rebuild it and enjoy the usual low mileage done by Classics.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

A word of caution , be aware that the sp cam tunnels may not have the clearance for a very late follower housing.
Its obvious when the two are put together -- the alloy rocks on the tops of the tunnels. Only seen it once but it can occur.
Steve