Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Drive shaft removal/replacement

David K

Drive shaft removal/replacement

Post by David K »

Hi all

I could really do with some advise on this......

I have recently undertaken the task of replacing the rear wheel barings and oil seals. On removal of the half shafts I found what seemed to be spacers on the inner section. I checked the manual but couldn’t find anything. Would much appreciate any info/advice, as desperately trying to sort in time for a trip to classic LeMan in a couple weeks!

Thanks
David
Drive shaft
Drive shaft

tony298

Re: Drive shaft removal/replacement

Post by tony298 »

They look like the thrust buttons from a powerlok diff.
They sit in the centre of the splines in the diff. If you shine a torch down the axle casing you should see the hole they fit into.
Mine came out stuck to the ends of the halfshafts when I removed them to replace my bearings and seals.
Fiddly to get back in. My axle was out of the car so I could stand it upright. I stuck them to the end of the halfshaft with thick grease and guided them back in vertically.
If the axle is still in the car extra care will be needed as they could fall into the casing if they came dislodged.

David K

Post by David K »

Hi Tony, thanks for your advise....
I’m sure your right I’ve just removed the diff back plate to see what’s going on, and indeed the arrangement is very different to the original manual, I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that a limited slip diffs can be introduced which must be the case here...relieved to understand there purpose, now just have to find a way of locating th buttons in the ends of the shafts!!!
Much appreciated
David K

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

I can confirm these are the 'buttons' from a power-lok diff.. (very useful option to have) seems you are on top of the situation... always good to have a mechanics flexible shaft magnet on hand when re-installing.. just in case they do drop off the axle shaft on re-installing.. high viscosity grade grease should hold them to ends of shaft for assembly though...

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Hi David, Welcome to the forum. I am just curious, is the axle fitted to a Daimler Dart?

Dave.

David K

Post by David K »

Hi All
Apologies for delay in responding, it’s been frantic trying to reassemble my car in time for our trip to classic Le Mans this afternoon...finally sorted I hope.
Thanks for confirming these were indeed the buttons for the power-lok diff, although I’m not entirely sure what it is, does or when it was installed? it must have been the previous owner as I’ve had the car for around 4 years now...and yes I can confirm this modification is to a standard Daimler Dart axle and diff housing.
David