Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Urgent Electrical problem - wedding Friday

KV8

Urgent Electrical problem - wedding Friday

Post by KV8 »

Hi

Help urgently needed I am supposed to be providing the DV8 as a wedding car to a very old friend who is getting married this coming friday.

Mechanically I have had no issues with this car since an engine rebuild plus extras by Russ Carpenter. Only yesterday completed 80 mile round trip to a show.

However I have been chasing an annoying occasional rattle and today found that the n/s rearmost exhaust hanger could easily be in contact with its own mounting bolt that either on lowering or reversing mounting bolt could be cured. So i proceeded to do both just in case.

Ok now for test drive - push starter engine makes small turn and then everything dies apparent complete ign related electrical failure. To me problem with solenoid possibly indicated. Disconnect all terminals and reconnect all connected to input of solenoid with external nut/bolt.
Turn on ign and all supplies restored.

So I fit spare( new) solenoid - same problem no ign related electrics.

Obviously taking the Starter motor out of circuit is the positive result of my tests. However if this is at fault cant see why it results in these symptoms?

Car has been modified by PO to neg earth and Alternator

Any Ideas??

Regards to all

Howard

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Urgent Electrical problem - wedding Friday

Post by A.N.Other »

clean up and check all the earth points to the chassis.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Many thanks

Always aware of earths and that associated with solenoid checked with DVM. Anyway reconnecting all positive feeds independently of solenoid results in all electrical functions being restored - except starter of course

regards

H

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

You didn't say in your first post whether you tried pushing the solenoid button instead of turning the ignition key.

I had a similar problem where the ignition key just produced a "clunk" from the starter, but I discovered that leaving the ignition on (and the car in neutral) and pushing the solenoid button resulted in a good start.

The problem was that the ignition key caused a very weak response from the solenoid button. The solenoid button presumably has a electro-mechanical downward movement which wasn't "hard" enough. For a long time I just pushed the solenoid button to start the car, but for two solenoid buttons to fail probably means that it wasn't the same in your case.

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Thanks John
Yes I did try pushing rubber knob but nothing .

Spare Solenoid is type without push button.

Crazy thing is all ign items dead when solenoid connected but ok if connected with solenoid out of circuit? (See first Post)

Going out now armed with multimeter and circuit to try and see where ign circuit volts are going!

Regards

H

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

When it comes to fault finding with electrics, especially 12 volt electrics start from basics.

Is the battery OK? Don't take it for granted. Measure the voltage at the terminals, it should be at least 12.9 or nearly 13 volts. If it is, turn on the head lights and check again, has the voltage more or less held up? If not the battery is probably faulty.

Get some one turn the key to start the car whilst you again measure the battery voltage. Does the voltage collapse when the key is turned? If so the battery is faulty.

If the car passes these tests, again get someone to start the car whilst you check the voltage at the starter side of the solenoid, is it full battery voltage? If not you have a high resistance connection somewhere.

Good luck hope you find the fault in time for the wedding.

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Battery is OK - put on C Tek overnight and is very healthy

However have now found that cause is 2 problems.

1 Ignition switch contact terminal fell off when testing - hence poor contact and loss of ign circuits intermittently. Ordering new switch

2 However appears Starter is jammed or shot as tested original starter solenoid and re- installed with just battery and starter leads - press rubber button - nothing.

How does one unjam a starter on an automatic? Cant put it in gear and rock!

Any comments welcome.

Regards

H

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, turn the square end of the shaft coming out of the end of the rear of the starter. think you have turn it against the direction of engine turning. but try both ways then. Tony

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Thanks

Jacked up car removed front wheel and put it on stands.

Square end of shaft a bit difficult to get to due to anti roll bar and steering gear.

However shaft seems to turn very easily so assume not jammed.

will reconnect to push solenoid again and see what happens.

H

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Push Solenoid - nothing happens Checked volts on Battery side of solenoid ok but drops to zero when push operated so appears starter is dead short. Assume thus that starter is shot. Cant get a new one delivered in time to fit so will use my 2006 jag S-Type. Similar colour to V8 Radiance red with cream upholstery. Full chrome version and 24 spoke alloys.

Thanks to all

H