Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LED Trafficators

Redduster

LED Trafficators

Post by Redduster »

After reading the article by David Nancekievell, DM Christmas 2017, I purchased the items, installed the LED and flasher unit as recommended and have experienced a different fault to those mentioned in the article.

Namely, when wired as per the article, the electronic relay continuously clicks when the trafficators are not working. when the treafficators are elected, left or right, externally all works well BUT the repeaters on the steering column remain on without blinking. When the trafficators are not in operation a slight glow comes from the repeaters lamps, to accompany the flasher relay!

Externally the trafficators work with a noticeable improvement fine.

Any body else had similar issues?

Advice always welcomed and appreciated.

Ozzsp250

Re: LED Trafficators

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Is the relay you purchased adjustable?

I have one that cost about 3 bucks, it has a 'knob' to adjust the 'flash' rate and have not experienced the issues you state.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

this is a little confusing (I have not read the article relating to adding an additional relay in order to convert to LED bulbs) but it sounds like incorrect circuitry.. Is suspect the 'indicator' inside the car is now getting power from a different source to the LEDS outside the car..
The original flasher unit ( essentially a circuit breaker employing bi metallic strip ) determines how long the circuits is closed via resistance of the bulbs in play ( 2x 17-21 W plus the 2-3w 'indicator' bulb ..so somewhere in the region of 40w more or less for a very short draw period) when replacing the bulbs with LEDs the resistance drops significantly and the flasher unit, which determines time of closed circuit via resistance causing heat to temporarily break the circuit , is unable to to do so..
I think the issue here to consider is this :- is there a real and actual advantage to replacing turn signal bulbs with led's ? if so what would that advantage be, and is the time and expense justified and practical ?
what we do know about leds is they use less power,produce less heat for given light output and are advertised as being 'long lasting'..but in my experience they fail in much the same way as an incandescent bulb.. and almost as frequently..
for my mindset..if you have to add extra components and thereby complicate matters ( more parts increase the odds that things can go wrong) its counter productive..
conclusion :- just stick with incandescent bulbs , which the cars circuitry was designed for.. in other words..if it aint broke,, don't attempt to fix it.. although employing LEDS for the parking lamps would make some sense..

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Tim,

In my case changed bulbs, removed existing flasher unit, installed new adjustable flasher and adjusted all for less than $10 -- doesn't come much cheaper or easier than that.

RadfordJim

Post by RadfordJim »

The warning lamp wiring returns to earth via the old thermal flasher unit (terminal P?) which provides an indication of bulb failure, as in this event the unit flashes twice as fast.

You need to remove this connection, the LG (Light Green) wire returning from the warning lamps and connect it directly to earth. The warning lamps will then operate as repeaters, in parallel with the main indicator lamps.
Make sure you replace Left and Right warning lamps in the correct side of the Rev Counter!

Electronic flasher units are much more reliable than the old thermal type and operate independently of load, so you can use LEDs or filament lamps. The three terminals are marked + (connect to Green wire from fuse), - (connect to earth) and L (connect to Green/Brown wire from indicator switch.

My unit also provides an audible "click" when operating.
Jim in Coventry - Home of the Daimler