Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Chassis Plate

Bud

Re: Chassis Plate

Post by Bud »

Thanks for the website, I'll let you know if they are able to do it.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Regarding MOT tests and overzealous testers.. Im unsure if its still exists, but its worth checking :- there used to be an 'appeal' process whereby if you received a 'failure' for something where some 'leeway' could be applied in a situation where the issue was not a
dangerous' one.. ( detectable.but not chronic wear in kingpins etc) and the testers decision could be appealed.. they are supposed to be cautious .but not over zealous.. I personally appealed and won several erroneous MOT failures in UK back in the 1970s..

Does not the SP 250 have a separate 'vin' plate with the cars data on it attached to body ? (2 of them as I recall)
The V8 saloons have the same set up as the Mk2 Jag.. riveted on vin plate either on the r'h inner wing or firewall.... which is what those 'verifying' the cars chassis number use, here in USA.. the chassis number on the saloon is often stamped or sometimes engraved on the bonnet latch shut panel to the right looking from front of car (and not always legible) plus there are additional stamped 'tags' attached to body elsewhere with the actual body number (typically behind the rear bumper) .. any of which can be used to cross reference the cars authenticity with JDHT..

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Tim, as far as I am aware there was/is only the one chassis number plate on an SP250, there is a body number on the scuttle which starts with 737 and is often taken as the vin number by mistake.

I argued that the earlier MOT's had been done using the registration number only, but my man insisted that he could do that to find the car on the DVLA web site, but could not positively identify the car on his computer without a chassis plate and that would render any MOT certificate he issued illegal.

In tried to persuade him that as the car was somewhat unusual, I was local and had taken it there at least five times for an MOT all he had to do was look up the record and it would confirm the car and I were genuine, but he was adamant and would not even look up the chassis number so we could as he suggested put a cardboard replacement in place so he could do the test.

I was very frustrated because I had a friend visiting from Chicago the next day who has a TR6, he was dying to try out the SP. In the event, I illegally drove him around our local housing estate, but did not dare to let him drive the car.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

All SP's originally carried a steel plate welded to the front of the chassis stamped with the chassis number (what we would nowadays call the VIN number) and a pressed steel plate riveted to the scuttle bulkhead embossed with the body number in raised digits.

In addition post Jaguar take-over cars had a photo-etched aluminium 'Lubrication plate' riveted to the horizontal scuttle surface and stamped with the Car No. (Chassis No.), Engine No.,Body No. and Gearbox No.
1-P1200125.JPG
Blank reproductions of this plate are readily available today and easily stamped with the numbers relevant to a specific car. Most MoT inspectors are unlikely to know the original location of the chassis plate, and presented with the information on the Lubrication Plate would accept this for testing purposes. Even if your car was manufactured before the Jaguar era, fitting a suitably stamped Lubrication Plate should obviate the problem of a missing or illegible chassis plate.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Bud

Post by Bud »

No acknowledgement of email querries sent.
Anyone want to try locally for info about "SP" tags?

Thanks,

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi Bud
Try Laurence Jones at the SP250 club. He is making a chassis plate for me after his due diligence on Margaret's Car. He could probably help with the bulkhead plates as well. If yours is a Jaguar built SP then the brass pedal box plates are probably available from him as well.
Regards

Colin

Bud

Post by Bud »

Thanks Colin,

I've got all the "plates" per say just the body tag is missing.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

depends on whether you seek 'all correct originality' or are willing to compromise for the sake of finding a practical solution..if the latter, given the easy availability of the reproduction 'vin plates' and the fact you know the numbers are correct (ie..no 'fraudulent' intent) the practical solution would be to buy one, stamp it up, and attach it to the cars bulkhead via screws or rivets.... you can also physically stamp the chassis number on the chassis ( as per the jaguars with separate body/chassis up to '61.. all the XKs and Mk7/8/9 saloons have this) if you can find suitable access point where the tester can read it.. all the MOT tester has to do is 'cover his posterior' within reasonable doubt..

RadfordJim

Post by RadfordJim »

For info, this is the Chassis Plate supplied by Laurence Jones
Chassis Plate.jpg
Jim in Coventry - Home of the Daimler