Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Correct spark plug V8 250

captain bobo

Correct spark plug V8 250

Post by captain bobo »

My V8 250 has NGK BP6ES plugs fitted. I have a couple of questions & hope those more knowledgeable than I can help me.

I want some new plugs. A google search reveals NGK BP6ES-CS4 and NGK BP6ES-VP4; what's the difference or would either be suitable?

The car's service manual says Champion N8 plugs. The JB Vintage Spares website states that the NGK B5ES is the Champion N8 equivalent. I'm now confused.

Perhaps the best way out of my confusion is to ask forum members which plugs they use in their V8 250 saloons & how pleased they are with them?

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who can pour some light into my ignorance.
Best wishes, Dave B

CDemler

Re: Correct spark plug V8 250

Post by CDemler »

Hi Dave,
The spark plug you want is Champion N5C. Nothing else please.
Also do not use the Champion N8 if you find any.
They would be old stock and we had issiues with the ceramic falling apart and causing engine damage.

All the best,
Chris

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Dave. I have not bought any for 2 years but I found N5C cheaper in a local motor factor than on fleabay, worth a try.

They have run perfectly in my V8 250 manual which has a Russ Carpenter engine and the SP250 in which the engine is well worn. I am sort of convinced they are smoother than the old NKG's and I get more miles per gallon, but you know how fickle that can be. Syd

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Thank you both. How interesting that you both recommend the same plug.

For my education, is the N5C a modern replacement for the old N8? Does it have the same reach into the combustion chamber? Is it hotter, colder or the same as the N8?

Any idea why a previous owner had fitted the NGK plugs? How do they compare to the N5C?
Best wishes, Dave B

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Dave, my SP and V8 250 were both fitted with NKG N8 when I bought them and they were fine.

Some time later I bought another two SP's both in pieces, one had a boot full of brand new parts, which included three new sets of Champion N5C. I did not do any research on the subject but assumed the chap I bought the two cars from, who was a bit of an engine tuner, had done so and I fitted them to the two cars when they were needed.

I seem to recall that Chris made the same recommendation on the old forum.

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Hello Dave

About 3 years ago I was lucky to get a cancellation spot with Russ Carpenter for an engine rebuild . Prior to this I had started to accumulate a number of spares in anticipation of doing a top end job prior to the anticipated 1 year later RC rebuild inc. head gaskets, rocker cover gaskets and 8xN5C spark plugs. I obviously offered these to Russ on arrival at his premises .

He turned all items down but specifically said as I remember that he fitted an alternative spark plug which was superior but what I can't remember. Since the car has run superbly since (apart from a fuel tank debris problem and a recent confusing electrical problem) I have never removed a spark plug for inspection. Perhaps if Russ is viewing this or you could e-mail him you could get an answer.

However if you want to try the N5C's you can have them FOC. I will be at the Kimbolton Fayre on Sunday next but with the Stag Owners Club in NUS861M.

Look forward to seeing you.

H

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

I use champion N5C or the NGK BP5Es....whichever the suppler has on the self.. both are good quality plugs ..and there are 'others' that can be cross referenced.. as long as you have the correct heat range as stated in the cross reference catalogue, you should be fine..

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Russ fitted my (SP) engine with NGK BP6ES. They all go bang at the right time and have done so for 4000 miles now. :D
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Hello H, thanks for the offer of the plugs, I hope this message reaches you in time. I'll pm you as well.

My wife Carol will be manning the RBL Poppy Appeal stall at Kimbolton Fayre, I will be on Grandad duty with my 2 young granddaughters who are a bit too young for the Fayre. I will give Carol your registration number, so don't be surprised to have a lady asking for you at some point during the day. I've given her your description (but my memory isn't what it used to be so it might be a bit flattering!!) but given how crowded it is she'll be better off asking for you.

Thanks again.
Best wishes, Dave B

Kbeal

Post by Kbeal »

Ngk BP6ES or B6ES. The BP6ES are slightly longer, so protrude further into the bore. I checked with NGK technical dept. B6ES are the direct replacement for the Champion N8, so I went for them as I didn’t want to damage the pistons. Been using them for 20 years. However I will bow to Mr Carpenters superior knowledge....

Kevin