Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fitting new windscreen rubbers

guitarman1951

Fitting new windscreen rubbers

Post by guitarman1951 »

My restoration of my 1968 250 v8 continues, i need the front screen out to respray it. The rubber is perished,but the chrome surround looks good. Looking at replacement rubbers i see a round rubber fits into a channel under the surround, as I have'nt touched mine yet I dont know if it has this type of rubber insert. My question is, do I fit the new rubber seal to the car, and then fit the screen. OR... fit the screen to the rubber seal and then fit the screen and rubber to the car???, and then put the round rubber insert in place and then the chrome, any suggertions,thanks

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Fitting new windscreen rubbers

Post by tjt77 »

there are a number of ways to replace the front screen rubber.. personally I call in a professional mobile auto glass company to do it for me as I really dont like doing this job.. if you look at factory videos ( the 'tour of jaguar factory 1961" is available on youtube) I believe they fit the rubber to the glass and then install it into the car..others fit the rubber first and then install the glass into the rubber.. then the closing strip.. ( they make it look easy..I can ussure you it is NOT easy..it takes skill and practice to get it right)
For me the most challenging part is installing the finishing strip and its 2 clips .. very easy to damage, bend or dent the chrome finished brass finisher..lots of patience required.. good luck.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Fitting new windscreen rubbers

Post by Christopher Storey »

I have found it easier to fit the rubber to the car ( using a sealant between metal and rubber which reduces the incidence of water leaks ) - and then fit the screen to the rubber . The locking strip goes in quite easily in my experience provided that it is well lubricated : I use red rubber grease for this which although quite messy is very effective and being vegetable based washes off easily. As far as the chrome trim is concerned, this is one of the worst jobs on the car and in the end I used Sikkaflex 221 to glue mine on , which produces a perfectly good looking result ,and which can be softened with a hairdryer if you need to take the trim off later