Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Camber angle

BARRY COPE

Camber angle

Post by BARRY COPE »

The chassis on my SP250 has had some major repairs in the past, including the re-building of one of the front suspension towers.
I am suffering uneven tyre wear. I have had the tracking checked and that os ok.
I suspect that when the chassis was repaired the correct number of shims were not replaced under the lower wishbone mounting.
How can i measure the camber and what sort of equipment might i need ?

Cheers

Barry

bakergh

Re: Camber angle

Post by bakergh »

I would take the SP to a tyre replacement company with the correct equipment for measuring all the steering angles.
They will produce a report with all the angles as measured. You should then be able to work out where and how may shims you require to adjust for the correct angles. I cannot recommend a particular tyre company as most of the better ones are local independents.

Graham

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi Barry
You might wish to try Tyre City. The local one at Segensworth just off the M27 away seem very professional when I have used them. It might be worth giving them a ring to see if they can do shims.
Regards

Colin

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

You can check the camber yourself using a Gunson camber gauge. Check this video from 1.54 to 2.50.

The Gunson is around £30 from several suppliers or there's this cheapo version from Amazon.

One degree of camber equates to approx. 4.5mm of shims under the lower wishbone.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Marc Mears

Post by Marc Mears »

I used the Gunson - and it’s a great little thing - placed it on the disk - not the wheel to get a more accurate reading ... picture shows how many shims I had to put in!!! it had none.

I have run it now for 3 or 4 years and done 3000 miles and the tyres are all wearing even....

Also, if I remember correctly (I guess someone will confirm) but as the car used to run on Cross ply’s originally, the set up for Radials tyres require a little more positive camber and I think I set it at 1 degree…. So long ago I forget these things!

marc
Attachments
IMG_2774.JPG
Daimler Dart. Healey 3000 Mk3. VW T2 Camper. BMW 2002tii. 996 Turbo. BMW Z3M. Hillman Tilly. Rolls Royce 20/25. XK 150 ots .BMW 3.0 CSL 73. Sunbeam Alpine Mk3.Morris 8 Tourer. 97 XK8 Convertible.Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Citroen Mehari

Jez

Post by Jez »

My SP250 was set up with 2 degrees positive camber (i.e. wheels wider apart at the top), which was factory setting, tuned I assume for crossplies. I believe radials prefer a more neutral, or with many modern cars negative camber, set up. Hence I fitted an 8mm (from memory) steel shim on each side which achieved closed to zero camber.
The front end is fairly stable now under cornering and no tyre wear issues. If anything, it is the rear which feels a bit loose - maybe new bushing etc required but a job for another day.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

I have purchased the Gunson and it is reading 3' positive N/S and 1' positive O/S. My question is should it be possible to make up some split shims and undoing slightly the lower wishbone bolts slide the shims in from either side of each bolt. I am trying to avoid having to dismantle the suspension.
Paul

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Paulkennedy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:04 pm I have purchased the Gunson and it is reading 3' positive N/S and 1' positive O/S. My question is should it be possible to make up some split shims and undoing slightly the lower wishbone bolts slide the shims in from either side of each bolt. I am trying to avoid having to dismantle the suspension.
Paul
Just to ask the obvious - I assume you ensured the car was on perfectly horizontal ground before checking the camber? A one degree slope would account for your difference in readings.

In theory you could do as you suggest; standard shims slotted to allow them to slide past the bolts should work. Obviously take care slackening the wishbone bracket bolts; with the car jacked up and the suspension resting on the rebound stop it should be pretty safe.
Nick

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

Thanks for your reply Nick, I attached the Gunson to the discs, having the car jacked up. I hadn't considered a not level floor, I will check that. Another thought, should I place a jack separately under each spring pan and then raise each side to the height as if it had its wheel on, I hope that makes sense.
Paul

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Paulkennedy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:22 pm .... Another thought, should I place a jack separately under each spring pan and then raise each side to the height as if it had its wheel on, I hope that makes sense.
Paul
If using the Gunson on the brake disc, that is certainly the most accurate way - assuming the axis joining the two wheel hubs can be maintained horizontal.

Although taking the reading from the disc is potentially more accurate, I prefer to have the car with the wheels on and on level ground and, since I have wire wheels, using the bar across the wheel rim as shown in the video above at 2.40. To eliminate any error due to wheel deformation, after the first reading I roll the car to rotate the wheel 180° and take it again. If there's any difference, take the average.

A pretty accurate DIY method can be done if the car has the front suspension largely stripped down - and the body removed!! - see here. Best result will be achieved if the wishbone bushes are polyurethane since the true camber will be under load when rubber bushes can be significantly deformed.
Nick