Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP Gearbox/Overdrive oil

wejxf03

SP Gearbox/Overdrive oil

Post by wejxf03 »

Gentlemen

Can I check what oil you are using in an SP with overdrive.

In my manual I have written in pencil SAE30 (Castrol classic XL30)
This is crossed out and 20/50 Morris oils and along side it 1/2" higher than mark. This is for the overdrive if I remember rightly as advised by Robert Grinter.

Thanks
John
John Foskett
Kent UK
SP250 B spec.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: SP Gearbox/Overdrive oil

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

My gearbox/overdrive is filled with Castrol XL30 (a straight SAE30 oil). The gearbox is filled to 1/2" above the original dipstick line to ensure filling of the overdrive. If the level is too low the overdrive will be slow or unable to engage.

I use Castrol Classic XL 20W-50 in the engine.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Jez

Post by Jez »

Overdrive Repair Services, where I sourced my overdrive, recommended a straight SAE30 oil but said that regular 20/50 would also be fine. As pointed out, overfilling by 1/2" ensures the overdrive has an adequate supply of oil as flow from the gearbox to the overdrive only happens at a raised level.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

wejxf03

Post by wejxf03 »

Thanks for the advice Nick and Jez.
SAE30 it is then.
Think I'll have to get a flexible funnel to get it in the dipstick hole.
John Foskett
Kent UK
SP250 B spec.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

wejxf03 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:03 pm ....Think I'll have to get a flexible funnel to get it in the dipstick hole.
A suction gun - something like this for example, is useful
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

wejxf03

Post by wejxf03 »

Good idea Nick. Thanks.
Have to get one of those.
John Foskett
Kent UK
SP250 B spec.

Jez

Post by Jez »

I use a length of tube to go into the gearbox filler, with a plastic funnel firmly fixed in the top end to pour the oil into. With roof off I can hold the funnel ahead of the windscreen in case of spills etc. Not the quickest but I had the bits kicking around.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

wejxf03

Post by wejxf03 »

Have ordered one of these to give a try. £6 delivered on Ebay. Will give it a go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-3 ... Sw2gxYpwHP

Cheers
John
John Foskett
Kent UK
SP250 B spec.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

I have found a small funnel works fine. Have tried both SAE 30 and 40 but recently the overdrive stopped working in Holland which I think is probably a problem with the solenoid.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Jez

Post by Jez »

With ignition on and engine not running, put the car in 3rd or 4th and listen for a click from the solenoid as you switch on the overdrive. If no click, then check fuses and the circuit running via the switch, 3rd/4th gear interlock switch and solenoid. I had a failed switch in my MG at Le Mans (temporarily replaced by the heater fan switch as overdrive was deemed more useful!) and on the Dart the 3rd/4th switch just occasionally needs the gear lever to be nudged a bit to kick in (another job to get around to!).

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys