Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 Saloon - too loud

KV8

Re: V8 Saloon - too loud

Post by KV8 »

Reply to Chris Storey.

This was a new Bell exhaust as supplied by one of the major suppliers for components for our cars. Of course it has a cross link as standard and indeed referred to in my initial post. It was fitted along with a complete engine overhaul by probably the best acknowledged expert in this field. So why the references to corroded exhaust manifold mountings?. Or suspect mountings elsewhere/ Or leaks? I have of course inspected all these aspects just in case the odd mounting needed tightening etc. However as one would expect from this workshop there are no defects whatsoever.

The increase in noise on kickdown is only due to high revs - no other noise is introduced. I cannot remember the detail but it was found necessary to install new engine mountings and stabiliser on re-installation of the refurbed engine. Revving in neutral shows virtually no twist on the engine.

As said i am sure that the noise level is due to either just exhaust roar or intake roar There are no additional or extraneous noises.

H

JDB

Post by JDB »

Maybe you just need a different car, v8s are celebrated for their exhaust note as much as any of their other beguiling features and it is seldom quiet; even the ultra-refined Majestic Major sounds a bit of a tear away on kick-down.
JB

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

This is not meant to be unfriendly, but....I made no reference to corroded mountings. That was Chris S. Frankly, I cannot see why you ask for opinions, and then rubbish them when you get them, and do so , frankly, in a manner that was rude and unwarranted as far as your reply to Chris S ( no association with me ) was concerned. We all try and give opinions in good faith, and it discourages people if their contributions are treated with scorn . If you don't agree with them, just ignore them

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Christopher Storey wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:10 am This is not meant to be unfriendly, but....I made no reference to corroded mountings. That was Chris S.
You critcised my response to Chris S .....?? puzzled. I explained to you why I Politely asked that my initial post is read.

What opinion am I rubbishing?

Where you get rudeness etc. from is beyond me. I am having a very interesting discussion with Chris S on another topic at the moment....!

H

KV8

Post by KV8 »

JDB wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:07 am Maybe you just need a different car, v8s are celebrated for their exhaust note as much as any of their other beguiling features and it is seldom quiet; even the ultra-refined Majestic Major sounds a bit of a tear away on kick-down.
JB
Thanks for your reply.

OK I have never traveled in another DV8 but I remember a recent TV series where the actor who played Victor Meldrew drove a DV8 around various points of interest. OK the sound could have been edited - but. Also there is a youtube clip of a DV8 being driiven around some country lanes - trying to find it again - but as I remember it was more subdued and smoother than mine. Mine sounds more like a tractor at full bore. As said no problem whatsoever with performance its great. Anyone hearing this car externally says its great although they say my Stag V8 sounds even better. However the Stag internally even with soft top up is considerably less noisy than the DV8.

I have at present got the DV8 up on ramps for routine oil/filter change.

I have therefore good access to front part of exhaust and am tempted to start lagging. Have any others done this ? Did it make a difference?

Thanks

H

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Can another V8 owner give KV8 a ride so that a comparison can be made.
I was led to believe that new exhausts, stainless especially, were noisier until a layer of crap from the engine had created a film inside. Something that can happen quicker with a Daimler V8 as it is considered to be a bit filthy.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Keith Ashworth

Post by Keith Ashworth »

Gentlemen,
Stainless exhausts are always noisier.
I put one on my Majestic Major and another club member didn't approve.
However , one makes the car to suit one's own taste.
There's plenty of cars around that don't suit mine!!
Keith

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I have a stainless system on my Westminster and it gives out a more metallic resonant sound than the mellower bassier stock pipe. Not unpleasant, just different.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Dobbinridesagain
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Dobbinridesagain »

Non-standard exhausts are a lottery.
And what sounds great for five minutes can become a real pain after an hour.

I chopped and changed systems on my TR6. Changed mountings, wrapped in lagging. Couldn't get rid of resonance. Finally found a system/box combo that worked for me.
On my Land Rover (3.5 V8 in 74 Lightweight) I had a lovely mild steel system, it fell off, since then I have had three different stainless system/box combos and it still has some resonance around 2000 and a general sense of being followed by a slow firing machine gun.

Our Peugeot 205 GTI had an aftermarket system with an awful resonance at 4000, a stock exhaust fixed it.

Otoh, our Silver Shadow had an aftermarket mild steel system that was fine.

I would like a little more wuffle from the 327 in my Rambler, but the exhaust has no vices and I'm not going to mess with it.

So whilst not disregarding the points made by other posters, my overall message is, try another system. Preferably mild steel and as near factory as you can get.
Sorry, no magic bullet.

Ivor

PS I like a bit of intake hiss, noise is a very personal thing.

Dobbinridesagain
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Dobbinridesagain »

A thought about the intake hiss.

Look critically at every penetration of the firewall. A small hole can admit a lot of noise.

The grommets around the wiring, the choke and speedo and tacho cables, the pedal bellows , the handbrake lever, the big grommet around the steering column, the heater and fan box gaskets, no doubt other things I've forgotten.
And having looked and rectified what is missing or perished, in the dark have someone shine a light beneath the dash while you look from the engine bay, and then shine from the engine bay while you look from the cabin, not omitting to lie upside down and look beneath the dash. Where light travels, noise will follow.

The car is a sports saloon. Some noise will be a desideratum to most owners. If you envisage it as a pocket Rolls in which you waft cosseted in a mobile library of wood n' leather, that may require an uber effort to achieve.

Ivor