Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Auto Box Kickdown V8 250

Warsash 2

Auto Box Kickdown V8 250

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
We have been on a 1700 mile trip to include Newby. I designed a tour route using as may moorland roads in Yorkshire, Teeside, Wearside Northumberland and Cumbria & Lincolnshire. On the route were quite a number of shortish climbs of 16-17 %. The problem was with kickdown which was sluggish. I thought it was perhaps the over carpets but this was not the case. It seem that the the box holds onto the higher gear too long. Enen using the low gear setting it still was reluctant to go into bottom gear.
Has anyone out there any ideas what I should do

Regards

Colin

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Auto Box Kickdown V8 250

Post by Fossil »

Colin

I humbly suggest that you get the G Whitehouse XJ40 autobox conversion and transform the car.

Cheers

Fossil

russcarpenter

Post by russcarpenter »

two things could be your problem, one could be a little low on fluid and the other is the kick down cable may need adjusting a little

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Thanks for this Russ.
The fluid was low so I have filled it up. The workshop manual talks of a crime stop which I cannot find. Does any one know where I can get one from.
Regards

Colin

marksimba

Post by marksimba »

I have a similar problem having done 1400 mile trip to France (in searing heat) and on a newly reconditioned box. I think it needs the kickdown cable adjusted. Mine will kickdown sharply at low speed to 1st but it should kickdown to second at speeds up to about 50mph (I think) but yesterday wouldn’t. Anyway I shall take it back and see what the mechanic says. (I’m tempted to do it myself but since I’ve just paid £££ for it he can sort it!)
I’ll tell you what he says.

Mark

marksimba

Post by marksimba »

Turned out to be the throttle pedal fouling the trolttle lever toward the end of its travel and hence preventing the downshift. The pedal had shifted to the left and was only just sitting on the lever at idle but when depressed moved off the lever.

Mark