Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Boot Hinges Gasket

daimlernorm

SP250 Boot Hinges Gasket

Post by daimlernorm »

I have noticed my Dart has a rubber type gasket fitted between the hinge and the boot, is this normal or should the
hinge fit straight onto the boot, if gaskets are required are they available to purchase or will I need to make some from scratch.
Mine are looking a bit sad hence the query.
Thanks
Norm

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: SP250 Boot Hinges Gasket

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Originally there would have been no gasket between the hinge and the boot lid. Some owners have fitted a gasket, usually of thin rubber or paper to protect the paintwork and inhibit water entry. I've used 1mm. closed cell rubber foam trimmed to the hinge profile. It provides an excellent waterproof seal.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

On mine both the bonnet and the boot had medium hard rubber gaskets about 2mm thick, from the cars history I came to the conclusion they were standard on later cars (not listed in the parts catalogue) but it is the Jaguar way to eliminate water ingress as the body finish is not good enough to make a seal with the hinge under surface which isn't brilliant either
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Martyn Ross

Post by Martyn Ross »

The rubber (?) gaskets on my bonnet hinges have mostly disintigrated so I've ordered some 1.5m solid neoprene to replace it. To save me removing the hinges does anybody have a pattern I can copy for the correct shape?

Thanks........

in case it's useful.....

https://shop.deltarubber.co.uk/rubber-s ... strip.html

Solid Neoprene Rubber Strip 5M length
SKU: DC20-30X1.5
Width
30mm
Thickness
1.5mm 1 £7.01
Subtotal (Excl.Tax) £7.01
Subtotal (Incl.Tax) £8.41
Shipping & Handling £3.95
Grand Total (Excl.Tax) £10.96
VAT £2.19
Grand Total (Incl.Tax) £13.15

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Martyn Ross wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:33 pm ..... To save me removing the hinges does anybody have a pattern I can copy for the correct shape?.....
Aren't you going to have to remove the hinges to fit the new gaskets? :?

PS Your rubber seems expensive - this would do the job for £3.99 with free p&p.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Martyn Ross

Post by Martyn Ross »

Ahh Nick...........
Thanks for embarasing me with my poor question phrasing! I had hoped to be able to remove the bonnet part only - leaving the rest of the hinge attached to the body so that realignments would be minimal. being able to precut the rubber would thus have been an advantage.
As for the cost I clearly didn't look far enough down the list, but looking on the positive side (as I must) I will be able to replace the gaskets for many years to come (gulp!).

Martyn

Martyn Ross

Post by Martyn Ross »

Job done with breath held as the car has just been resprayed. I've drawn the patter and attached just in case its useful to anyone else.
Daimler SP 250 bonnet hinge space.pdf
(282.05 KiB) Downloaded 138 times

Bud

Post by Bud »

Since on my car all the original rubber gaskets were lipped to contain the particular part, ex. door handles, rear plate light, windscreen wiper bezels etc. it would seem in this day and age it is time for 3D printing to easily fill the gap.
Who got a new Father's Day toy?

Darker

Post by Darker »

I know this is an older thread but it's the closest to my question. The stud and nut (or bolt) that held the bonnet hinge to the body has broken and disappeared, I have epoxied an new stud into the hinge but am now left with a larger dilemma ..... how do I reach the end of the stud to screw on the nut? It's behind the firewall and does not appear to be reachable from the cockpit.

Martyn Ross

Post by Martyn Ross »

Darker

Mine's a C series (in case that makes a difference) and I found both L/H and R/H studs were reachable - when in in the usual position of upside down head against pedals with torch held in teeth.