Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Hood to screen seal info as its raining IN the car

JimL

Hood to screen seal info as its raining IN the car

Post by JimL »

Hi Folks, can anyone please advise me on the most effective type of seal to use for sealing the hood to the top of the windscreen as I was out today in the Dart in heavy rain for the first time and got soaked across the knees.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Hood to screen seal info as its raining IN the car

Post by Ian Slade »

Never had a problem with the standard seals, inverted "T" section that fits in the top rail plus the "L" section that is fitted under the metal strip and overlaps the top rail, certainly good for 100mph in pouring rain.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Most would not be aware of the ribbed overlap seal. just need the ign. key to flip the edge out.
steve

David S

Post by David S »

..... and there's me thinking that is normal.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

There is a new rubber available of a hollow section with a more pronounced 'lip' than the original.....
1-P1190574.JPG
....available from Robert Grinter and probably also from Barry Thorne.

Its efficacy does of course depend on the hood surface it's sealing against.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

The seal Vortex suggests is great but a real pain to insert into the groove.
If I may hijack the thread slightly, does anyone know where to get the correct seal for the doors?
The original seal on my car was Furflex with a rubber flap on the side which seems to be unobtainable now but now comes with a rubber tube which is too firm to allow the doors to close properly.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Ian Hastings wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:40 am The seal Vortex suggests is great but a real pain to insert into the groove.
If I may hijack the thread slightly, does anyone know where to get the correct seal for the doors?
The original seal on my car was Furflex with a rubber flap on the side which seems to be unobtainable now but now comes with a rubber tube which is too firm to allow the doors to close properly.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
As you say Ian, the currently available 'Furflex' has rubber 'O' section in place of the original 'flap' and is too firm. I've used plain Furflex without any rubber element on my car but also fitted the sponge rubber outer door seals. This allows the doors to close easily and so far has been adequate as a waterproof seal.

Incidentally it may be worth asking Newton Commercial if they can supply the original section - they manufacture trim parts for the Classic trade.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Unless you have the "L" section overlapping the top rail rain will always get in, the "T" section is only there to stop drips that may have passed the "L" section. Despite what you may think the hood wooden rail lifts at speed therefore the overlap "L" rubber is your main defence against water ingress.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

Thanks Vortex but Newton don't sell it.

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Hello

I've cut off about 2/3rds of the outer rubber "tube" of the inner furflex seal to leave a protruding lip at the upper side which does seal effectively around the entire length and doesn't impede the door closure. A pair of dressmaker's scissors makes it a fairly quick mod.

Cheers

Fossil