Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fuel pump

John

Fuel pump

Post by John »

Does anyone know of a reliable German fuel pump to replace faulty SU one on a 1969 V8-250 saloon. Preferably a straight swop fit

Josef Eckert

Re: Fuel pump

Post by Josef Eckert »

I always prefer the original SU fuel pump with points. There are only cheap German replacements I cannot recommend.
The German brand is HARDI, but I wouldn´t buy one.
Josef Eckert
Königswinter/GERMANY

johnwager

Post by johnwager »

John
Welcome to the forum.
Why would you want a German fuel pump for your English Daimler?
Reconditioning kits are available for SU pumps ( a fairly easy job) or buy an electronic version.
A good SU pump will last for years.
John

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

SU pumps are only a problem if they are not properly looked after, they are usually in very hospitable places subjected to all sorts of trials but if kept properly adjusted and maintained will out last the cars they are fitted to.

The problem with them almost always comes from the contacts and as John says a recon kit solves that cheaply and very easily, or if you are that way inclined an electronic kit can be fitted.

Stick with the SU, there are many many thousands out there working fine. They are fitted to, Morris Minors, MG b's many of the Farina cars and dozens of Jaguars and Daimler's, to name but a few, with so many in use there are always going to be the odd failures, but nothing that cannot be reliably fixed. Syd

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Perhaps the Gentleman would like to break down more often like the many BMW's I have seen stranded on the hard shoulder of late...!
Just because it's made in Germany, doesn't mean it's going to be any good....
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

To rely on a 50+ yr old fuel pump and assume there is a 'built in' problem is faulty thinking. The current SU pumps produced by Burlen fuel systems remain good quality units and are more versatile then the originals being dual polarity today .. you also have the option of a new SU pump with solid state electrics replacing the old points to suit the polarity of your car (but be aware that the solid state pumps are not tolerant of reversed polarity.. connecting the 'wrong' way will kill the operating mechanism for good in less than 2 seconds..
A new SU pump will last as long as the original..which is apporx 200k miles or 20yrs on average.. my advice is to keep to the original equipment and buy a new SU pump from one of the established suppliers.. Im unsure of the solid state ones are actually more reliable or longer lasting than the original points type..I can confirm that the solid state ones DO fail (I've experienced one failure in apporx 30 fitted over the past decade) .. and unlike the points type they do not respond to a whack with a blunt instrument to get them re-started when they age..
the main advantage to keeping with the original equipment is there is zero fabrication involved.its a direct 'bolt in' replacement ..and the quality of SU pumps is far better than most 'aftermarket' replacements.. yes there ARE better pumps available .('facet' is a good brand and their diaphragm type electric pumps are used by both US military and Nato) but be advised that a NEW SU pump should give you good service and last minimally well beyond a decade.. if you are set on an aftermarket replacement, avoid those that have a plastic pump body.

Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi John,

There is a modern drop-in replacement fuel pump for the SU that is readily available from the usuals made by ECCO. However, on a twin pump Jaguar I own I had to replace the two ECCO pumps fitted by a PO. One failed and the other had a cracked case. They may have been quite old and possibly the unions were over tightened causing the cracking. I replaced them with rebuilt SUs.

My view is that SUs should be as reliable as a points operated ignition system.

I have rebuilt several SUs - all bought of e-Bay. I recently acquired an AUX 301 - the first of its type, and fitted to Daimler V8 until superseded. I found that it ran once the points were cleaned. The diaphragm has hardened so it does not run strongly, but that is to be expected. Rebuilding is not difficult and all parts are available either individually or as part of rebuild kits.

Clive.
Attachments
20180623_134536.jpg

Keith Ashworth

Post by Keith Ashworth »

A lot of other pumps are noisy too.
I have fitted an SU pump that has been overhauled annam very pleased with it.
Keith

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Hope you have solved you problem John, I would be interested to hear what you decided to do. Syd