Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Wire Wheel Valve Hole

captain bobo

Wire Wheel Valve Hole

Post by captain bobo »

A few years ago I bought 5 wire wheels second hand as replacements for my rusting chrome wire wheels. I haven't been able to use all 5, because 4 of these replacements have valve holes around 11 mm diameter, suitable for the T13 valves on the inner tubes, but the 5th wheel has a much larger valve hole, so large in fact that there's a risk that the inner tube might "balloon" out in the gap between the valve and the edge of the hole. So i'm using a rusty chrome wheel as the spare.

I contacted a local automotive engineering company asking whether they might perhaps weld something to the inside of the wheel to reduce the diameter of the hole. They were adamant that welding was not suitable for steel wire wheels. They might be prepared to machine up some kind of part that would sit inside the wheel with a raised section that fits the big hole to reduce the size of the hole down to 11 mm. It's not a cheap option, and because it's only the spare wheel it doesn't feel worth the expense.

Questions: has anyone had a similar problem? How did you get round it? Are there perhaps any standard "hole reduction" products out there?

As usual I'm highly appreciative of comments and suggestions from forum members
Best wishes, Dave B

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Wire Wheel Valve Hole

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

What you need is a 'nipple grommet'. I haven't seen these for years, but that said, these on ebay are the sort of thing.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Thanks Nick, I've never heard of nipple grommets before - every day is a school day. I've checked the dimensions of the items in the link you posted and they might just do the job. At the cheap price quoted I ordered them anyway; I might be able to enhance them for a better fit to my wheel.
Best wishes, Dave B

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Any tyre fitting establishment might be able to furnish you with a suitable part?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster