Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Quarter vent mirror recomdation

Pinto

Quarter vent mirror recomdation

Post by Pinto »

Hi from Down Under,
I need to improve my exterior rearward vision in my 1964 V8 saloon. I like the mirror that mounts to the quarter vent window frame but would like some suggestions.
1 Are they easy to fit? The listings I have seen says there is no drilling required. I this correct?
2 Can I still open the quarter vent window. Important in the Australian summer. I do not want to drill holes in the door skin.
3 Suggested supplier in the UK.
Regards,
David B.

armstrong whitworth

Re: Quarter vent mirror recomdation

Post by armstrong whitworth »

Hello David

I'm sure that plenty of people on the Forum will be able to advise on the clip-on type of quarterlight mirror, but I could never get one to fit satisfactorily so copied an idea that I have seen used on several Daimlers and Jag Mk2s. I drilled through the corner of the window frame and fitted a standard wing mirror that way, using a stainless steel tube nut (plus stainless and rubber washers) to secure the threaded stem in order to avoid too obtrusive a dome nut inside the car. It took some careful measurement and shortening of the threaded part of the stem and the tube nut, but the resulting installation is very solid and the quarterlight still functions. Of course, whilst you avoid making a hole in the door skin, you have to make one in the frame, which might not be everyone's cup of tea. This might not make much sense without accompanying pictures, so hopefully I have managed to attach them to this post (fingers crossed).
Daimler Door Mirror Montage.JPG

Alpine Daimler

Post by Alpine Daimler »

Hello David

This link to a post a while back may be of help and interest : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2047

Regards
Rob C

Pinto

Post by Pinto »

Hi to AW and Rob C,
Thank you both for your replies re mirrors.
Regards,
David B.