Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 250 engine mounting

CHRIS J

V8 250 engine mounting

Post by CHRIS J »

The engine mounting is very near to the top of the power steering box, It looks like only a 1mm gap and i'm sure its knocking.

New mountings have been fitted on the engine and Front suspension, the steering box has a mark on the top made by the mounting before the engine was refitted.

Do I need to fit spacers under the engine mountings or front suspension V mountings? has anyone had this problem?

CHRIS J

Re: V8 250 engine mounting

Post by CHRIS J »

Has at sometime the wrong metal bracket been fitted?
was the bracket on the engine of later v8 250's having power steering reshaped to fit around the steering box?

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Steering box bolts to subframe, but engine mounts bolt to a bracket fixed to the chassis rail.. so I'd suspect the subframe mounts are the actual issue here .. check the front subframe mounts first.. the central bolt should be bang in the middle..if it is NOT.. the mount needs replacing.. be sure to check the 2 rear mounts as well..if the fronts are deteriorated, the rears will be close behind.. always best to replace all 4 to do the job 'right'.. be aware that the rear mounts only fit in one way round .. fit the front ones 1st..then the rears, leaving the front mounts slightly loose so the suframe will drop enough to slide in the rears.
Clearance is tight twixt engine and the later adwest steering box ...If subframe mounts are deemed 'within spec' and you have a new mount fitted and the clearance is too tight for comfort, put a couple of spacer washers under the mount where it bolts to the chassis to resolve the issue ..these 2 bolts themselves are 5/16 x 3/4" NF.. you may want to replace them with 1" long bolts if you go above 1/8" spacers.. but 1/8" should be sufficient to resolve your issue.. OR..you can also add just ONE spacer to the single bolt on top of mount.. this is a 7/16" NF bolt, so larger diameter spacer required.. 1/8" thick spacers in most diameters are available from hardware stores.. or you can use a couple of washers to make up the appropriate thickness..

Superfly

Post by Superfly »

Hi this is my first post but hope I can be of some help.

After finishing restoring my 250 a few months ago,I had this exact same problem. I initially shimmed the new mounts I had fitted,which worked,but wasn't happy with that solution.
I found there were at least 6 different types of mount available from various sources, including rear bumper mounts being passed off as engine mounts, the rubber on these being much too soft.
I took a trip over to David Manners as they sell 4 different types of mount,from basic to uprated, I compared them all on the counter and found there to be quite a difference.
The uprated mounts with a metal shroud over the rubber,were at least 12 mm taller.
I have fitted these uprated mounts and there is plenty of clearance now on the steering box,the drivers side mount is easy to get at, but passenger sides a pain as the power steering pump has to come off.
1968 Daimler 250-V8 Saloon

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

good info from Superfly.. there remain a myriad of ongoing 'issues' with aftermarket or reproduction parts that often stump the installer..
just went through all manor of problems in installing a new exhaust system on an healey BJ8..whereby the front silencers would not fit within the space they are supposed to fit ... part of the issue is the composite rubber/metal mounts.. the self same parts as used on Daimler v8/ Jaguar Mk2 saloon..which were different dimensions to the original factory parts ..
D Manners is a good supplier and one few that offer a 'variety' of same part from different sources.. whenever possible its best to try and source 'original manufacturer' or 'OEM' parts.. save's a LOT of potential headaches..
regardless of this..DO check your subframe mounts.. they are often compromised with age.. common sense dictates they be replaced avery 20 yrs as part of normal 'preventative maintenance' procedure to ensure reliability..

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

Thanks for your help, I did not know there are a selection of mount types available.

I shall be doing some investigation into the best solution.

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

The engine No. is 7A series which is an earlier engine as it should be a 7K engine,

I found a 7K series engine for sale and the mounting bracket has been changed to accommodate the power steering, Have changed over Brackets and problem solved.
The attachment V8 mount7A.JPG is no longer available
V8 mount7A.JPG

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

V8 mount7k.JPG
7k series bracket