Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Original Pressed Wheels

daimlernorm

SP250 Original Pressed Wheels

Post by daimlernorm »

I have original pressed wheels on my Dart which are cream in colour, as I am changing the tyres thought it is
a good opportunity to get the wheel powder coated, so my question is what would have been the
colour when new, my car is dark blue but am thinking cream or ivory for the wheels.
Can anyone advise especially if you have pressed original wheels on your car.
Norm

Kbeal

Re: SP250 Original Pressed Wheels

Post by Kbeal »

They were originally matched to the body colour.

I’d strongly recommend getting them crack tested too as the steel wheels are prone to metal fatigue around the stud holes
Kevin

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

My first Dart was 5years old when I bought it in 1967.

I do not believe it had ever been re-painted and it was dark blue.

The steel wheels were definitely not dark blue, from memory I think they were silver.

The car did have Ace wheel trims fitted.

Dave.

daimlernorm

Post by daimlernorm »

Thanks for the replies, yes mine also has the Ace Wheel trims, think it is a good idea to get them
crack detected, does any forum reader have any knowledge of a crack detection company in the
North of England who could carry out this work.
Thanks Again
Norm

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Norm. I have had three SP's with metal wheels in the past all with the ace wheel trims. Two had navy blue wheels as has been said, the other had two blue and two cream wheels, I suspect on the basis of that navy blue for ace wheels.

There was a lot of discussion on the old forum about the cracking problem, with pictures of cracked wheels. All 14 of the wheels I had were visually OK, though I never used any of them so never had them tested for cracks. Seems the cracks are fairly clear to see when they do show up. Probably depends on how the car was driven in the past, but from the past reported experience, wheels have collapsed whilst being driven so better to be safe than sorry. (or fit wires :-)) Syd

wejxf03

Post by wejxf03 »

I have a maroon car with steel wheels and ace wheel trims.
The wheel colour is the same maroon and look fairly original but I can't guarantee whether they've been painted to match in the past.
John Foskett
Kent UK
SP250 B spec.

SteveW62

Post by SteveW62 »

I'd get the wheels coated/painted in a light Colour ( Silver/White/Cream ). This will help with seeing cracks should they appear.

That's why most chassis based racing cars have battleship Grey Chassis .

Just my 50 Cents worth, but that's what I'd do

David S

Post by David S »

If your car is Dark Blue then its colour is not original.

Regardless, it is your car so you can paint the wheels whatever colour you like!

Why not go to the SP250 Day at Kop Hill and have a good look round at other cars, that way you would get a good idea of the finished appearance. Alternatively you can trawl the internet images and get an idea of what looks good to you.

Personally I think a rich cream on steel wheels look good with a blue car, though my steel wheels are silver and stashed in the garage loft whilst I run it on Minilites.

Whilst on about wheels, can anyone confirm if you can run the original wheels tubeless?

David

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

David S wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:58 pm If your car is Dark Blue then its colour is not original......
.......Whilst on about wheels, can anyone confirm if you can run the original wheels tubeless?
David
Why do you say dark blue is not an original colour? My SP is dark blue and according to Laurence (from factory records), it left the factory in that colour. It may not be a standard colour but it's certainly original.

When on the original pressed steel wheels I ran both tubed and tubeless tyres without problem.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Vortex O'Plinth wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:24 pm
David S wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:58 pm If your car is Dark Blue then its colour is not original......
.......Whilst on about wheels, can anyone confirm if you can run the original wheels tubeless?
David
Why do you say dark blue is not an original colour? My SP is dark blue and according to Laurence (from factory records), it left the factory in that colour. It may not be a standard colour but it's certainly original.

When on the original pressed steel wheels I ran both tubed and tubeless tyres without problem.
Just wondering, what is the distinction between 'standard' and 'original'?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster