Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Radiator Refurbishment.

Warsash 2

Radiator Refurbishment.

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
I am having the engine rebuilt and whilst it is away I intend to have the radiator either recored or replaced. Can anyone recommend a company to carry out work.
Regards

Colin

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Radiator Refurbishment.

Post by Chris_R »

Where are you located Colin?

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi Chris
On the south coast between Portsmouth & Southampton
Regards

Colin

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Not too far, you could try GT Radiators in Shepperton. They do all kinds of vintage and classic radiators.

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
I have been offered a repair option of either original spec recore or a modern core which they claim is more efficient and cheaper has anyone any experience of such repairs.
Regards

Colin

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

Hi Colin,

I have done both - refurb on the V8 250 and replacement modern core on the SP250. Both now working well but I have to say the SP with 30% more tubes and 30% more fins on those tubes is fantastic no matter the air temp - and we get some hot ones- or 'press on' driving.

Cheers
Michael

PS I spent about 6 mths in your neck of the woods about 40+ years ago when I attended the Merchant Navy College. Lovely part of the world.

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi Michael
Thanks for this I have decided to go the uprated route as the car has rack & Pinion steering so relies on an electric fan. As it still has a dynamo this should be helpful.
The College is still going strong although it is now part of on of the local universities. There are quite a number of ex scholars from the college in the club.
Thanks again

Regards

Colin

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
I had the radiator recored with modern materials as Micheal suggested. It had a Kenlow fan fitted by Brian Purvis when he fitted the R&P steering. It was held on with cable ties!
I sent the whole lot to
ReadyRads
106-112 Emily Street
Highgate
Birmingham
West Midlands UK B12 0SL
Email: sales@readyrads.co.uk
Telephone: (0121) 771 0022 - 0121 446 2669
Who made a great job of the refurbishment as the attached photo shows all £288 including P&P.
He has fabricated brackets for the fan which noe looks a thoroughly professional job.
If you are thinking of having any radiator done speak to Dave he is very knowledgable.
Regards

Colin
Attachments
IMG_0070.JPG

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Hello Colin,

What size electric fan did you use, please ??

Many thanks.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

timmartin

Post by timmartin »

Colin. I too have a Kenlowe fan and a recored radiator.
I would like to copy your mounting brackets but cannot see from your picture how they have been arranged.
I would be very grateful if you could show some more detail.
Thankyou, Tim.
Tim
Blue 1964 SP250 in Berkshire