Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Handbrake cable

Jez

Handbrake cable

Post by Jez »

Folks,
does anyone know the correct length of the handbrake cable?

I have adjusted the pad clearances as per the manual, but there is significant slack in the cable before the bell crank begins to move and operate the brake. To temporarily overcome this, I have fitted a piece of metal around the inner cable, between the rear bracket and outer cable, in order to take up the slack. This works fine but a more elegant solution would be appropriate!
My cable measures approx 30" for the outer section, with central grease nipple, and then 8" of additional inner cable at the front and 5" at the rear. It does like a shorter cable would do the job so I wonder if an incorrect cable has been fitted in the past.

Also, the service manual refers to a spring being fitted over the cable between the bracket on the rear axle and the fork at the cable end. I don't seem to have this, but the diagram in the service manual also doesn't appear to show it. Can someone confirm if there is supposed to be a spring here (my mechanism seems to rely on the bell crank spring to release).

The manual also has a spring and handbrake cable clip - where does this fit? It's absence may explain why my cable seems to dangle somewhat.

Thanks in advance - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Handbrake cable

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I assume we're talking SP250 Jez?

I can't help you with the cable length (I actually had to effectively lengthen mine to compensate for cranking the handbrake lever up to improve clearance after fitting an overdrive). My handbrake release is assisted only by the tension spring between the bellcrank and the axle bracket.

There is a support spring for the cable suspended from the body. Mine is not original but this is what I fitted...

ImageImage
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Jez

Post by Jez »

Thanks Nick.
Yes, it's regarding an SP250. I have the same set up as you for the handbrake release and I will improvise something similar for the sprung cable support. You've given me a good idea to help use the surplus cable length, but before I do that it would be good to know the official length.
If noone knows then perhaps I'll call Barry Thorne and ask him to check.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Hello Jez
The original one that goes on the 1960 RHD is
44 ¼ “

Post by #100910 »

Confirmation:
44" = cable, tip-to-tip
30" = cable housing

Jez

Post by Jez »

Thanks for that. Confirms the cable is correct so the need for a little extra outer length to take up the slack must be due to something else, like positioning of the handbrake lever etc. Further inspection required!

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys