Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP 250 header tank

Warsash 2

SP 250 header tank

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
I am refurbishment of the engine on Margaret's SP and had the header tank grit blasted and it went into holes. I remember some time ago on the forum that stainless steel ones had been produced. Does anyone know who produced them.
Regards

Colin

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: SP 250 header tank

Post by Ian Slade »

I've always made my own, one of alloy with the help of a welder friend, the other of brass and brazed, there were many pressure cap recepticles in brass in those days from the scrappies.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: SP 250 header tank

Post by tjt77 »

Have your tried contacting Robert Grinter or any other marque experts ?
if you search on ebay there are a selection of stainless steel ones that can be adapted .. not dimensionally the same but regardless, easy to adapt to fit the saloons.... the ones i frequently use on any different classics are either the 2 1/2" or 3" x 10" long ..they are both inexpensive (appprx $22-24 inc S+H) and very nicely made..
for the SP it may be necessary to have one fabricated as I recall it fits 'in line' rather than as a 'catch tank' ... most radiator service places should be able to help Id think..

Depends on what you are seeking... function with good durability and appearance is easy to achieve.. if you have to stick to 'original' its likely going to be a challenge ..
If its an 'urgent situation' another possibility is to tape up the holes in your existing one with standard masking tape if they are no more than 'pin holes' with diameters around +/- 3/16" .. line it with fuel tank sealer .. allow to dry and then coat a second time to add a thicker film..(you can speed up cure time by baking in an oven at the 'low' setting for 45mins to an hour ) then remove the tape and refinish the outside ..it there are deep imperfections you can use fine glass fibre mat and epoxy resin to gain smooth surface and add strength .. a .040" coating of tank sealer on the inside with nothing done to outside will be good for approx 40+lbs of pressure..