Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Maintaining Seat Leather ...

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Maintaining Seat Leather ...

Post by tjt77 »

What is other peoples experience of products for softening and preserving seat leather in our cars? back in Uk I used to stock 'connoly hide food'..but its hard to find here in California as well as being expensive, and the common 'go to' is 'Lexol leather deep conditioner'... I've found that by far the best products at the most economical prices tend to be skin care products for humans.. Ive been using 'Eucerin advanced repair' and Eucerin 'aquaphor' ( which has a consistency similar to vaseline ) with very promising results.. for less then 1/2 the cost of official 'hide food'...it definitely works better then Lexol..
interested to know what others experiences are.. My knowledge of leather care and restoration and the components used in 'conditioners' is, frankly, not very good..

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: Maintaining Seat Leather ...

Post by classiclife »

I have always used Gliptone on my cars with leather seats; I agree it is not the cheapest but it is probably one of the very best products you can use IMHO.

https://www.liquidleather.com/about-us-i95

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Renapur https://www.renapur.com/ seems pretty good. Best, Ranald

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

tjt77 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:51 pm What is other peoples experience of products for softening and preserving seat leather in our cars? back in Uk I used to stock 'connoly hide food'..but its hard to find here in California as well as being expensive, and the common 'go to' is 'Lexol leather deep conditioner'... I've found that by far the best products at the most economical prices tend to be skin care products for humans.. Ive been using 'Eucerin advanced repair' and Eucerin 'aquaphor' ( which has a consistency similar to vaseline ) with very promising results.. for less then 1/2 the cost of official 'hide food'...it definitely works better then Lexol..
interested to know what others experiences are.. My knowledge of leather care and restoration and the components used in 'conditioners' is, frankly, not very good..
Not sure about human products being cheaper. Certainly not over here!

Eucerin 40ml £9.00

Lexol 500ml £8.84
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Hi

I used to own a Rover P4. This was always "laid up" for the winter. Every year at about this time I applied copious amounts of Wrens Dubbin* ( Yes the same as what i put on my Rugby boots as a teenager and early twenties !)
In the spring i would remove this by rubbing with absorbent cloth followed by a branded leather cleaner/treatment (Autoglym?)

Result was amazing with shiny flexible soft feel.

I intend to try this on my DV8 this winter. I have some Wrens dubbin still. * however please note I tried a cheaper alternative brand one year and it was rubbish.

HTH

H
Last edited by KV8 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

thanks for the replies and please keep em coming !
Reply to phillmore:- Eucerin 'advanced repair' in 16oz/ 454 G tub (made in mexico):- +/- $9.00.. Lexol 'deep conditioner' 500ml /16.9 oz (made in China) :- approx $16.00. The Eucerin definatley does a better job and lasts longer. locally there is not much choice for automotive specific leather conditioners... I have not asked my horse owning friends.. who have lots of leather stuff related to the hobby..

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Make sure there's no residue remaining after treatment or your wife's dresses/trousers will be ruined :shock:

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

tjt77 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:20 am thanks for the replies and please keep em coming !
Reply to phillmore:- Eucerin 'advanced repair' in 16oz/ 454 G tub (made in mexico):- +/- $9.00.. Lexol 'deep conditioner' 500ml /16.9 oz (made in China) :- approx $16.00. The Eucerin definatley does a better job and lasts longer. locally there is not much choice for automotive specific leather conditioners... I have not asked my horse owning friends.. who have lots of leather stuff related to the hobby..
Boots are obviously making a good profit on the Eucerin then!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster