Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Clicking noise from rear

Jez

Clicking noise from rear

Post by Jez »

All,

thought I would check the collective wisdom to help target my search.

Went for a drive in the Dart last Sunday and heard a distinct clicking from the rear. It only appears when under power, disappears when decelerating and seems road speed related, with a internal of a couple of seconds up to perhaps two or three clicks a second. Only recent fettling has been to tighten up the handbrake adjustment / free play at the caliper.

Seems unlikely it would be engine, brakes, debris in tyres or discs etc as that wouldn't disappear when not under load. No whining from wheel bearings or diff.
Prop shaft maybe?

Your thoughts welcome, before we embark on a 3000 mile round trip!

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Clicking noise from rear

Post by John-B »

Sticking rear brake pad or caliper?

Read Wilf Stephens' servicing article viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3519 "Brakes service and upgrades" (Word document item 8). He refers to tinkling.
I also have occasional ticking noise which varies with road speed. I can't hear it until I have gone about ten miles and everything has warmed up. If I just touch the brake pedal the ticking goes away, so my noise must be from the main brakes, not the handbrake.

In your case, try pulling up the handbrake a little while travelling along. Don't push the button to lock it, obviously. As it's a quick release handbrake you can use it while travelling. Does the noise stop?

Jez

Post by Jez »

Hi John,

thanks for your response. The noise is definitely more of a ticking than I think Wilf's tinkling would suggest - certainly more than I'd expect from the handbrake mechanism. I'll do some checks on the brakes when I get back home tomorrow.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

Martyn Ross

Post by Martyn Ross »

Jez
I suffered a clicking from the rear a couple of years ago. It was impossible to find exactly where it came from. Over some 500 miles it became progressively louder and eventually 'came out' as the diff. Ouch.
Hope this isn't the case with yours.Image

Ross