Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler sp250 overdrive oil level

csm1406

Daimler sp250 overdrive oil level

Post by csm1406 »

Hi
Please can someone advise the level of oil needed in my overdrive - currently it is on the mark - I have read elsewhere that it should be above the mark. Please clarify.
Thanks !
Cameron

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Daimler sp250 overdrive oil level

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

With a 'J' type overdrive fitted the gearbox oil level should be about ½" above the original dipstick marking. Lower than this and the overdrive operation may be slow or intermittent.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Same applies to A type overdrives I think.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

When the SP 250 was in production was overdrive an option ? I image if it was it would have come with an 'A' type overdrive , as was used on the triumph TR3 .
the J type was likely product AFTER production of the SP250 ended.. A type overdrives are quite robust and the oil pick up is in a very low position.. Ive found them to work just fine on jaguars even when the gearbox oil is below optimum level.. for some reason the J type overdrive is sensitive to Oil level.. could be due to smaller body holding less oil..

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

The aluminium castings of the J type body are different and there is a barrier over which the oil must flow to fill up the od body hence the need to fill the oil level to about 1/2 inch above the normal level.
If you have the gearbox/od apart it is easy to drill a small hole through to allow the oil to pass and fill the unit.
Incidentally just behind the rear surface of the gearbox body, on top of the od body, is a good place to drill a small hole to fit a vent pipe which will vent the whole gearbox/od unit.

timmartin

Post by timmartin »

I have a J type OD fitted by Overdrive Repair Services of Sheffield. They rebuilt my gearbox as part of their service at the same time. My experience of them has been all good, exactly what one would hope for.

When speaking to a very nice gentleman there on the phone, I asked him whether it was likely to be harmful if the gearbox was accidentally overfilled with oil. The answer was no, it will just vent from the vent hole. I did not ask whether this was a vent hole that they had added when supplying the OD. I did not ask whether it was in the gearbox or the OD.
I assume that it was they who made a second level mark on my gearbox dipstick, about half an inch above the original.
Tim
Blue 1964 SP250 in Berkshire

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I used ORS and think they are s__t hot. I would advise anyone to go to them rather then anywhere else.
Probably the best and the best value for money.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

csm1406

Post by csm1406 »

Hi
Thanks for replies - happy to fill 1/2 " over the mark.

Cameron

JimL

Post by JimL »

Hi.
I've newly finished fitting a "J" type overdrive to my SP250 gearbox and now need to purchase gearbox oil but I don't know what quantity I'll need. I intend to use straight 40w oil gearbox oil.
I have had a trawl through the forum posts but haven't stumbled upon an answer to my question.
Thanks

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

I can't remember the exact quantity but a five litre can will cover it with plenty to spare.

You probably will not be able to buy sae40 in anything less than five litres these days anyway.