Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

250 V8 20 MPH vibration

johnwager

Re: 250 V8 20 MPH vibration

Post by johnwager »

Dick
Why not put a new viscous coupled fan on, much quieter than a fixed fan, or alternatively no fan and fit an electric one.
John

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

I have a fan and coupling which I was going to put on Ebay. Not sure of the coupling condition, it was on a spare engine that I bought.
The fan itself is a bit rusty but that would clean up OK. Water pump also available.
PM me if interested.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Glad the problem has been found and resolved.. perhaps we should have asked if the vibration was there with engine running but car stationary...Id made the assumption the vibration was only present with the car in motion..not wishing to be a prophet of doom, BUT.... if the water pump was NOT replaced you might want have a replacement on hand just in case... if its been run for any length of time with the fan imbalance, it MAY have weakened or shortened the life of the pump bearings..

Chris S

Post by Chris S »

For info a viscous coupling off a early XJ-S fits and works well. One has been on my car for years.
Chris S

JDB

Post by JDB »

Well done finding the problem Dick, that's the hard bit done!
JB

DickSpeedy

Post by DickSpeedy »

Hi Guys, sorry about the delay in getting back on line.

I finally decided to fit an electric fan. This took a while as I had to make up brackets and modify the cowling to fit.

Today I started the car on jacks and ran it till the engine reached operating temperature as I thought I might have a water pump leak. The car had only done 60 miles since the overhaul. All was well with no leaks anywhere. There doesn't seem to be any vibration. The original vibration could be felt through the steering wheel even when stationary although when driving it felt as it were coming from the center bearing in the prop shaft.

I will give the car a good run this weekend and let you know if there are any problems.

DickSpeedy

Post by DickSpeedy »

Hi guys, I gave the Daimler 250 a good run this morning up hill & down dale at varying speeds. She ran perfectly with NO vibration.

Who would have thought that an out of balance fan could cause so much trouble. Once again thanks for all your input.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

DickSpeedy wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:16 pm Who would have thought that an out of balance fan could cause so much trouble. Once again thanks for all your input.
Phil Glennerster knew that when he restored my engine. He didn't want to fit the fan after fitting an electric fan, but I asked him to do it as it didn't cause a problem before restoration and I wanted to retain some originality.
He said that fans often need to be balanced by adding a drop of weld material on a blade, but luckily my fan doesn't cause vibration.

I'm sorry I didn't post this info before.