Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

oil feed banjo bolt

V8 Junkie

oil feed banjo bolt

Post by V8 Junkie »

Does anyone know the correct spanner size for the oil feed banjo bolts that supply the cylinder heads please?The nearest that I have found is 1/2 inch imperial or 13m/m metric but are not a good fit

silverdart

Re: oil feed banjo bolt

Post by silverdart »

Hi, They are 1/2inch A/F.
The problem is that the hex. flats are not very wide.
I undid mine with mole grips and have had 9/16 A/F nuts welded on the heads for the future.
IMG_1788.JPG
Dave.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

as above.. spanner size is 1/2".. they make special spanners for hydraulic lines, which grip on 4 of the 6 flats .. I use one of those which I narrowed in order to improve grip (they have a slight chamfer on the working face..I ground that off.) another viable tool is to use a 1/4" drive six sided 1/2" socket.. again.. grind the business end down to remove the chamfer so you get more surface area of the socket on the nut.. if you wish, you can grind the socket back to depth of the nut..
Also.. carefully check the bolt for stretching before re-installing..stretch will commonly be apparent at the bolt head end of the thread just where shoulder starts.. if weakened by over tightening they can and do fail.. replace if in doubt.
These oil feed line bolts have been discussed on this forum...Its been suggested that one can make ones own replacement bolts .. I believe Russ Carpenter makes his own.. a standard 5/16" NC shouldered bolt has a deeper head..and a grade 8 bolt will be stronger than the original, and is still drillable (best to use cobalt drill bit on these though) but getting the through oil hole drilled bang on centre is a a little tricky with a drill press.. easy to centre with a small lathe however.. the solution of welding a 3/8" nut on the head of a damaged bolt is a very practical solution when the head is damaged but bolt is not stretched (as they often are) ..albeit not very pretty..excellent solution for a 'driver quality' car though.

V8 Junkie

Post by V8 Junkie »

Thank you for replys, I have managed to remove the bolt with a 1/2 inch spanner,and as it was on the near side head I had to remove all the bolts and pipework.Got in touch with DM to be told they did not have any :shock: but they have managed to locate some :) , so ordered a replacement set.
Will take extra care when replacing them.