Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler V8 to Borg Warner T5 gearbox bellhousing

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler V8 to Borg Warner T5 gearbox bellhousing

Post by Fossil »

Sonus

I think I know who the Scottish SP owner intending to fit a T5 box to his car is, he is a DLOC member but not a user of the Forum I think. Do you still want details of the bellhousing? I can possibly put the two of you in touch with each other.

I was unaware that Borg Warner were the makers of the T5 gearbox.

Cheers

Geoff

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

Fossil wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:21 pm Sonus

I think I know who the Scottish SP owner intending to fit a T5 box to his car is, he is a DLOC member but not a user of the Forum I think. Do you still want details of the bellhousing? I can possibly put the two of you in touch with each other.

I was unaware that Borg Warner were the makers of the T5 gearbox.

Cheers

Geoff
I have had a response from the supplier so will try to get the necessary info from them. If this fails I'd be greatful to be put in contact.

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Sonus

I've been in touch with said gentleman, but he is not keen to divulge details of what he is doing until he has it finished and tested. I do not know what his timescale is or why he is being so shy!

It will be a wonderful; machine when it is completed; I may even be tempted to go in that direction myself when I see what the result is like.

I hope that you get the information that you need. And of course the current manufacturer is Tremec, for some reason that did not come back to me yesterday.

Regards

Geoff

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

Thanks Geoff, will try to call the supplier today. He has replayed that he wants me to call him to discuss.

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

I spoke to the manufacturer in New Zealand yesterday and he confirmed he has made the bellhousing. It is for fitting the T5 gearbox to the Daimler V8 engine, but requires the smaller SP250 flywheel. The larger Saloon Flywheel will not fit. We agreed that i would send him some more info on my needs and he will look into making a bellhousing large enough to accept the Saloon flywheel.

Pictures of the Barry Thorne aluminium bellhousing is also very interesting if anyone has some?

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Pictures of the Barry Thorne aluminium bellhousing is also very interesting if anyone has some?
P1040454.JPG
P1040453.JPG
P1040451.JPG
Attachments
P1040450.JPG

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

That looks like a substantial bit of Aluminium, but I guess it is cast with a bit excess to be machined off?

I'd be interested in knowing the dimensions of the mating face for the gearbox. I wonder if it would be large enough to fit a BorgWarner T5?

Got a guesstimate on weight?

EDIT: Barry Thorne has replayed that he has none of these aluminium bellhousings left

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Answers below:

That looks like a substantial bit of Aluminium, but I guess it is cast with a bit excess to be machined off?

It is substantial for sure.

I'd be interested in knowing the dimensions of the mating face for the gearbox. I wonder if it would be large enough to fit a BorgWarner T5?

I measured the flat face at 9" in vertical axis and 6.5" across.

Got a guesstimate on weight?

Weighed at 16.4 lbs.

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

Thanks Ozzsp250 👍

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

although I have never done it, id think its relatively easy to adapt a 2/12 V8 Auto bell housing to fit the T5 or tremec box.. some T5's have different bolt patterns though..the GM one looks to be easy to adapt.. I think the ford version has slightly wider overall diameter for the mounting bolts. All you'd need is the correct diameter (9 3/8") round plate to adapt inside the hole for the BW35 box that is drilled for the T5 box.... allied to a central internal clutch release bearing set up..(these are readily available in different configurations) Id think any competant machinist with an 11" lathe could do this.. some of the auto bellhousngs are cast iron.. obviously the alloy one is preferable.. BTW..the auto bell housing is same depth as that of a GM 'camaro' bell housing .. the GM version of the T5 gearcase has 4 bolts.. uppers are apporx 8" apart. lowers around 9".. .