Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Transmission cover

V8 Junkie

Transmission cover

Post by V8 Junkie »

Trying to withdraw transmission cover to gain access to gearbox on my SP250.Removed seats and all the securing transmission cover fasteners do I have to remove handbrake assembly? as the cover will not clear Thanks in advance :D

V8 Junkie

Re: Transmission cover

Post by V8 Junkie »

Please ignore last post must have been having a senior moment lol

Jez

Post by Jez »

Can't remember if its strictly compulsory but it certainly makes life easier. There's a couple of large bolts holding the base of the handbrake to the chassis. Also helps to remove the clip and clevis pin holding the handbrake cable adjuster to the bottom of the lever, so then the handbrake level just lifts straight up and away.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

Just removed the cover on my SP and removing the hand brake bolts certainly makes life easier. The gearbox has to come out as I have lost first and reverse, the gear lever jumps out as soon as the drive takes up. It will be interesting to see what's happened. All other gears and overdrive work.
Paul

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Your selector has worn on first gear fairly cheap fix if you can strip and re-assemble the box yourself
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

V8 Junkie

Post by V8 Junkie »

I have removed the Transmission cover to gain access to the speedometer drive unit which is leaking. Have followed instructions from the manual on how to remove,taking the locating locking bolt out but although I can turn the the drive bush it will not come out wondering if an O ring is holding it I have applied quite a lot of pressure by securing an old speedo cable minus the drive innards and pulling no joy :? Has anyone had this problem as I don,t want to damage anything

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Hi, There is only an "O" ring seal no circlip. Have you tried gripping the body with mole grips and rotating slightly? there may be a slight burr where the locating pin fitted.

Dave.

V8 Junkie

Post by V8 Junkie »

Tried that Dave no joy ;) thought the old speedo cable would have worked by the amount of pulling I was applying to the cable it was stretching like a goodun