Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Crankshaft damper for fast road V8 engine?

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Crankshaft damper for fast road V8 engine?

Post by Fossil »

Hi all

Some crank damper musings, nothing to do with race or fast road preparation:

My SP vibration damper suddenly dismantled itself last year, fortunately at relatively low rpm so it did not shatter; the resulting vibration was very severe. To my relief I found that Manners stocks newly rebonded dampers, good news indeed.

The car's mileage is over 100k which I assume has something to do with the incident, but in addition the engine was found to have unmatched con rods about 5 years ago (now sorted). It had been in this condition throughout my ownership from 1981 and 80,000 miles, and for an unknown time prior to that. I imagine that this would not have done the damper much good either.

In fact the damper probably did very well to reach 120,000 miles in that condition, so most SP owners can probably sleep well at night knowing that their dampers are unlikely to self-destruct yet.

Regards

Geoff

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

That is good info Geoff.
How much was the con rod weight difference?

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Niels

Apologies for my very slow response, much going on at this time of year.

Unfortunately I don't know how much weight had to come off the rods, nor why there were rods fom more than one engine involved. it may have been the previous owner who did have the engine out in the 70s, but I had it rebuilt by a reputable English firm, Oselli, in the mid 80s, and I think that they almost certainly missed the issue, in other words they didn't balance it as they claimed to have done. But it's all water under the bridge now.

I do know that the recent engineering company ground metal off both ends of several rods, and in addition had to add heavy metal, tungsten I believe, to at least one crank web, to obtain a satisfactory result. In any event it has been successful and the engine is now far sweeter than before.
Cheers

Geoff