Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

250 V8 Auto box

KV8

Re: 250 V8 Auto box

Post by KV8 »

"Modern" ATF (Dexron) types should not be used with BW35 or BW65 auto gearboxes. I also have a Triumph Stag that are fitted with these gearboxes. The Stag forum recommendation is that if a Dexron fluid has been used then drain the gearbox asap and refill with the correct AQF type (as described in an earlier post) to avoid damage

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: 250 V8 Auto box

Post by Fossil »

Years ago I had an '82 Double Six. En route to Glamis Castle one Sunday it suddenly emitted a dramatic plume of gray smoke visible in the mirror but with no other issue, rather like a warship laying smoke for cover. I drove on carefully because we were not far from the destination, there was no change in the engine or gearbox function and by the time we got there the smoke had diminished but the gearbox behaviour was beginning to become slow and erratic.

With the bonnet up there was oil all over the driver's side of the engine bay, the exhaust downpipes in particular. The source was a tear in one of the GM gearbox oil cooler hoses connecting the cooler pipes to the radiator. It had sprayed oil on to the exhaust and everywhere else. The AA responded to the situation and the engineer took me to some of the local filling stations in order to find some fresh transmission fluid. Being a Sunday some were closed but I found a couple of pints of ATF and poured them down the filler tube. Fortunately there was enough slack on the burst hose to cut off the damaged piece and reattach healthy hose. This allowed normal function to be restored and for us to get home. Another couple of pints were needed to bring the level up to the mark, and fresh hoses of course, but that was all. A lucky day.

Cheers

Geoff