Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Cylinder block core plugs

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Cylinder block core plugs

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, take look at my post “ Engines Woes “ on the Lanchester Forum.
I replaced a Core Plug only yesterday in my Lanchester Cylinder Head, and also “Repaired” coroded water way holes using Loctite Aluminium Putty .

Cheers Al :D

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

PLEASE DO NOT USE tjt77s method of hitting two hammers together. It is highly dangerous as the hammers can shatter causing serious injury.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

re the theory of shattering hammers.. Im unsure where this long held old wives tale comes from, but it has stuck for decades.. Ive never experienced this issue and have been whacking hammers agin each other for over 40 yrs.. especially for installing for plugs.. whilst its contrary to long standing engineering practice, a good quality ball pain hammer, hit on the ball end with a larger hammer, is the ideal tool for expanding core plugs in my opinion.. Ive broken lots of hammer handles in my life..but NEVER suffered any damage to the business end..which is commonly made of the same steel that ANVILS are fabricated form.. although if you can find a really cheap cast iron hammer (such as in those really nasty budget Asian body hammer sets sold online) theoretically it is possible ..

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

re the theory of shattering hammers. It is just good practice to make people aware when you don’t know there abilities or there equipment. Not me but journeymen I trained under passed on an experience. I wouldn’t dream of calling them old wives. The male end of a half inch square drive socket extension with a slightly domed end can work quite well if you are not too worried about abuse to it. I suppose you could dome a suitable size punch.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

First rule of engineering, if it's hard hit it with a softer tool, if you wish to distort it hit it with a harder tool, Core plug soft, hammer OK, hammer on hammer, both hard not OK, the only time you use hard on hard is if you wish to break something (ie a seized bearing on a shaft) in that case take precautions.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

tjt77 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:43 pm re the theory of shattering hammers.. Im unsure where this long held old wives tale comes from, but it has stuck for decades.. Ive never experienced this issue and have been whacking hammers agin each other for over 40 yrs.
Well, you have been kucky then . Long may your luck continue . It is certainly not an old wives tale that hardened metal is liaible to shatter if struck with similarly hardened metal

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Id agree that is best to use caution ..many different tools can be used to expand for plugs.. I think the critical thing is to size the tool that is used to expand the plug needs too be minimally 1/2 the diameter of the plug.. if one uses one too small to will leave a depression without fully expanding the plug.. and yes a 1/2 drive socket bar will work on the smaller ones.. 3/4 drive can be used on larger ones.. a suitable brass or copper faced hammer is best against a hard steel tool.. such as the copper faced hammer for tightening the big nut on spoke wheels.. I'll stick to my 2 hammer method as I have it 'down pat' as they say ..one whack does the trick.