Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Engine Oil Level and Dipstick Position

fredeuce

Engine Oil Level and Dipstick Position

Post by fredeuce »

I am trying to determine the actual oil level in the sump by reference to the dipstick position.

The purpose here is to install a small hole and plug in a suitable location in the sump in order to check oil level. The reason for this is that as installed in my car I cannot use the factory dipstick and tube.

Having removed the sump and installed the factory dipstick and tube I am concerned about how far the dipstick is inserted into the tube. My dipstick has some rubber grommets below the handle which act as a seal and a stopper. The attached picture illustrates what I have. The gap between the upper metal shroud and the top of the tube is about 9 mm.

Anyone car to comment as to what the rest position should be?

David S

Re: Engine Oil Level and Dipstick Position

Post by David S »

Well, on mine the tube extends 6 inches up from the block and the [max] mark on the dip-stick is 7 1/2 inches down from the stop - There is no min mark on the dip-stick.
Hope that helps.
David

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

David ,
Thanks for your reply.
Those measurements you quoted I suspect relate to the SP250 version whereas my engine is a 2.5 Sedan version which I understand to be different .

Cheers,
Fred

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

Fred, I’ll try to remember to measure my saloon engine dipstick tomorrow if that helps. There are flexible dipstick converions out there that might solve your problem?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search ... 4294951518

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Neils,

If you could have a look that would be appreciated.

I think I have worked it out but there is some uncertainty about that so your further input would be welcomed.

Fred

David S

Post by David S »

Just thinking about your situation............ I wonder if you should drain all the oil out and empty the filter. Then fill it according to the handbook recommendation for oil capacity
Run it for a bit and look at the stick.
That should do the trick?
And yes, Well spotted! Mine is an SP250 and they have different sumps so it may not be the same as your saloon.
Cheers
David