Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP 250 gearbox cover to floor sealing

JimL

SP 250 gearbox cover to floor sealing

Post by JimL »

I was wondering what was originally used to seal the gearbox cover to the floor if anything? Hopefully it wasn't Dum Dum as its a messy stuff.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: SP 250 gearbox cover to floor sealing

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I don't know what the original sealing medium was, but when refitting mine after restoration I used self adhesive foam rubber tape - something like this. I seem to remember 25mm wide by 3mm thick as a suitable size. Simply stuck to the gearbox cover flange and then the fastening holes cut out with a punch or sharp knife. A bit of nifty profiling around the corners is needed to get the tape to fit, but it's quite straightforward. Once installed it seems to work adequately.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Kbeal

Post by Kbeal »

When I took mine out to replace the original but threadbare carpet there was a felt gasket between the transmission cover and the floorpan. The car had only done 29000 miles at the time so I don’t think it had ever been taken out before.

Kevin

JimL

Post by JimL »

Many thanks fellows. I think I'll go with the sticky backed tape, I may already have some tucked away somewhere in the garage.