Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

New acquisition

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

New acquisition

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I'm about to add to my car collection an old convertible sports car. It has a glassfibre body mounted on a steel ladder frame chassis. It features a pushrod V8 engine designed by the cars manufacturer, four speed manual gearbox, wind-up windows, chrome bumpers, a manually operated hood and disc brakes all round behind 15" steel wheels.

Anyone guess what it is?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

John-B
Site Admin

Re: New acquisition

Post by John-B »

Ogle? Reliant Scimitar?
Or more obviously a Daimler SP250.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

John-B wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:04 pm Ogle? Reliant Scimitar?
Or more obviously a Daimler SP250.
Nice try John - but not even warm. :D
Nick

Post by #100910 »

1958_Corvette.PNG

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Bond Equipe? Jenson? Ferrari 541 (I would love to drive that?) Marcos? Noble? TVR? AC? or a type of kit car?

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

#100910 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:04 pm 1958_Corvette.PNG
Congratulations Greg - I thought the description might ring a bell with our american cousins..... :D

Not a C1 or even a C2 but this.....
IMG_7384.JPG
s-l16008.jpg
Nick

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

8-) 8-) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
John
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

In 1990to 1994 I worked with an engineer on the Docklands Light Railway Beckton Extension who bought a Corvette and got it brought over in a container. I never saw it but I was very envious. Unfortunately he never drove it to the building site.

Post by #100910 »

What a beauty !
It should provide loads of Tuxedo Black enjoyment.
Is its pristine condition due to low mileage or excellent restoration?

Only semi-winnership can be claimed as I had just returned to edit my 1958 guess:

"The 1965 Corvette Sting Ray offered further refinements ... The first welcome addition was the advent of standard four-wheel disc brakes."

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

#100910 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:46 pm What a beauty !
It should provide loads of Tuxedo Black enjoyment.
Is its pristine condition due to low mileage or excellent restoration?

Only semi-winnership can be claimed as I had just returned to edit my 1958 guess:

"The 1965 Corvette Sting Ray offered further refinements ... The first welcome addition was the advent of standard four-wheel disc brakes."
Your edit is very close to the target Greg. It's a 1971 Stingray; a matching numbers car with the 350 (5.7 litre) small block engine. '71 was one of the last years for full chrome bumpers and the last year before emissions legislation really started to strangle power (by '76 the base small block power was down to 180HP - from 5.7 litres!). This car produces a nominal 270HP - perhaps a little more as it has tubular headers fitted.
It was in one family ownership in the States before being imported to the UK last year and one owner over here. The photos flatter it a little; it's very good but not perfect. It's essentially unrestored, although it has been resprayed. The body now has some minor blemishes and the soft top is a bit tatty. Interestingly it shares one problem common on SP's - the RH window regulator is shot! The original interior is very good....
s-l16006.jpg
...and everything works (bar the clock - but that's almost guaranteed on early chevys)

It shows a mileage of 44k - believed genuine - and has just had a new clutch fitted and a complete brake system overhaul.

I've yet to pick it up, but I'm looking forward to some serious fun when summer returns! :)
Nick