Forum registration by users has been re-enabled with harder registration questions. Guests should use the Register button top right but if you have difficulty answering one of the spambot countermeasure questions, Email mail @ chalkevalley.info (delete spaces).
If you would like to join the DLOC, please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/
Please don't post someone's email address. Some people don't want to risk it being harvested by spambots and GDPR regulations discourage it.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" which gives all posts in date & time order if you can't find a post or "Your Posts", as topics are sometimes moved.
Reg. nrs. Please add reg. nr. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.

Draining Engine Oil

fredeuce

Re: Draining Engine Oil

Post by fredeuce » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:56 pm

I finished the fabrication of my spray bar for my camshaft and plumbed it up without fitting it to the tappet chest.

I connected the battery and cranked the engine over to establish what level of delivery was being achieved and the concurrent oil pressure at cranking speeds. Below is a video recording on my phone which shows the oil delivery on the cam and the reading at the gauge which is about 20 psi. Please excuse the quality of the video I'm not Steven Spielberg.

A question for Ozzsp250 : what oil pressure does your engine generate at cranking speeds? That would be useful to know so as to make some comparisons with the modifications done to your engine. I have drilled 17 x 1mm diameter holes in the bar. The bar is 1/4 brass tube . I took the supply from the point where the oil pressure switch and oil pressure gauge are attached on the front right side of the engine block.

https://youtu.be/k01m5632gr8

Sonus

Post by Sonus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:12 pm

@fredeuce thanks for sharing your progress :)

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:57 am

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The engine when on the test stand with a test gauge made around 20 psi -- relaying on memory not always good.

The engine is now in the car but I have not cranked it yet, I have a couple of loose ends to clean up before I fire it up. Due to the garage being attached to the house and the car is on my platform car lift, plus I'm sure it will smell up the place I need to get it in the driveway. The plan is to crank it over and build oil pressure prior to starting it, I'll pay closer attention to cranking rpm and oil pressure.

Dennis

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:03 pm

I test cranked the engine in the car yesterday and the cars oil pressure gauge failed to register any pressure and the mechanical tach no speed. I removed the new oil feed line from the back of the oil pressure gauge in the hope to bleed the system and cranked engine catching any oil it in a bucket. The oil pressure gauge has a new stainless flex hose assembly [supplied by Barry and is larger internal diameter than the original plastic one] and the flow was very low and erratic - testing at ambient temperature around 30 C which is a bit disappointing.

Once I start and run the engine which won't be for a couple of days or so, I'll repeat cranking test and add a electrical pulse tach to capture engine cranking rpm, should the car's oil pressure gauge fail to register again I'll add an external test gauge.

Dennis

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Dennis,
I look forward to your further test results when available.
I conducted some further tests on my set up by simply disconnecting the spray bar and cranked it over all else being the same.

This produced a cranking pressure of 40 psi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pWyJiP ... e=youtu.be

My general concern as is yours I believe is to ensure adequate oiling at the camshaft but not at the expense of reduced oiling at the main and big end bearings.
My next step is to insert a needle valve in the line to restrict the flow to the spray bar and see what results I can achieve with oil pressure at cranking speeds and maintaining adequate supply to the cam.

My oil pump by the way has had the small drilling in the relief valve closed off and the relief valve spring packed up slightly. My bench test results were 55 psi to open the relief valve.

Sonus

Post by Sonus » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:25 am

I think you might be able to run the oil pump even harder. I bought an uprated oil pump from Russ and Andrew Carpenter that they testet to 65psi if i remember correctly(?)