Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Draining Engine Oil

Kbeal

Re: Draining Engine Oil

Post by Kbeal »

Andy, I would expect the cam chest to fill up as the fresh oil is poured in given that the filler is on top of the cam chest

Kevin

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes I thought that might be the case Kevin but not familiar with the v8s (as a straight sixer). In which case the new oil would displace the old oil (albeit purging the old oil into the sump).
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

the later cylinder blocks did indeed have the cam gallery drilled.. they have a series of 1/8" holes drilled along both sides of the ridge.. 12 holes in all to allow oil to drain back into the sump.. there is NO advantage to having the oil rest in the bottom of cam gallery..its far too low to reach the camshaft and help lubricate it.. I expect even the drilled galleries holes to plug up eventually, as these engines seems to create a LOT of black crud in the oil (likely due to having pistons with only 3 rings and originally a ineffective cast iron oil control ring..later engines went to a multi piece oil control ring ) ..there is almost always some very nasty black gunk in the cam gallery that is hard to remove... some people have added a tube with holes attached to an oil feed to add extra lubrication to the cam and lifters in the hope of extending the short life of these components.... wise move Id think.

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

tjt [Tim]

Any chance you have a photo of a block with the drilled drain holes? I have the extra spray bar that feeds the camshaft and followers and do have the concern that it may flood valley area and tax the standard drain back system.

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

Ozzsp250 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:22 am tjt [Tim]

Any chance you have a photo of a block with the drilled drain holes? I have the extra spray bar that feeds the camshaft and followers and do have the concern that it may flood valley area and tax the standard drain back system.
Do you have pictures of the spray bar?

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Have dropped you photos via email.

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Ozzsp250,
I would be grateful if you could forward your pictures via email to me also. Sounds like a sensible modification to make.
Cheers,
Fred

lomh 13

Post by lomh 13 »

Ozzsp250 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:38 pm Have dropped you photos via email.
Hello why don't put the picture on this thread ? It will be interested.
Shears
Robert
What looks right is right

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Shears,

This is the way the used engine I purchased was modified, note the cam followers installed wrong.

I'll follow with another mail to show oil feed as photos make post too large.
IMG_1896.JPG
IMG_1895.JPG
IMG_1894.JPG

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Oil feed is taken after the oil filter shown on my engine test stand, spin on filter replaces original. I initially put a hand valve inline to test the oil pressure drop.
The second photo show the port next to the distributor feed tapped as 1/8" Npt - it feeds the spray bar.
I had a brass 1/8" Npt 90 degree fitting but changed to a stainless steel "tee" to monitor oil pressure a port as well.
The final tubing I'm going to NiCu brake line and retain "tee" as a pressure port.
Oil Supply.PNG
Oil feed.PNG
Oil feed 1.PNG