Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 engine oil quantity.

DTW

SP250 engine oil quantity.

Post by DTW »

I think the answer was probably on the old forum but I will ask again.
Filling with 12 pints of oil comes nowhere near the level marks on the dip stick. I am filling the spin on filter canister before I add the 12 pints. Does it need more or is it the wrong dip stick? What is the measurement from the tube stop to the full mark on a genuine SP dip stick?
Dave W

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: SP250 engine oil quantity.

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Mine is 191mm Dave - near enough 7½".
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

DTW

Post by DTW »

Thank you Nick, will re-calibrate.
Dave W

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Dave,
was this a first fill from a rebuild? If so, there's a reservoir under the camshaft that need to fill that then never drains, so it may be you need to add some extra just this once.
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D »

I recall the same thing when I did an engine rebuild some time ago. Does this mean that an oil change is not total if the oil in the camshaft reservoir remains?

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

My SP is relatively new to me and I have been intrigued by the thre marks on the dip stick (see photo). The top mark is 7 1/2" from the tube stop, the lower mark has 5.5 lightly etched next to it, and the middle mark has 6.1 etched next to it. I am keeping the level at the top mark that I think indicates the 6.8 litre capacity.

Michael
image.jpeg