Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Oil dip stick

Ozzsp250

Oil dip stick

Post by Ozzsp250 »

I have just run into another issue on the replacement engine I'm tuning prior to installation in my car.
The dip stick on original engine is much longer than that on the replacement engine. The dip stick housing tube is also longer on original engine.
Original dip stick housing protrudes from engine block by 5.5", with the oil level single mark at 7.5" to oil level from lip on dipstick.
The replacement dip stick housing protrudes from engine block by 5.125", with the upper oil level mark at 8.625" from lip on dipstick. I have no idea what the markings D600L-3000 mean.
With the correct oil quantity neither dip stick appears correct however the long one is close.
Anybody had this issue or similar?
Dip Stick Tube on Engine in car.JPG
Dip Stick Tube on Test Stand Engine.JPG
Dip Sticks 1.JPG

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Oil dip stick

Post by A.N.Other »

Is the replacement engine the same as the original, SP/saloon ? Are the sumps the same type ? Are the oil pump assemblies the same ?
My experience of filling up during an oil change was to fill to a quarter inch below the mark. After a run and then cooling again the level would come up to the mark.
The SP will happily run with the level three eights to half an inch above or below the mark. But if the level is higher rather than lower it may help with cooling.
The top stick with the measure by it looks like the original SP type.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Oil dip stick

Post by tjt77 »

The SP 250 has a shallower sump (oil pan) than the 2 1/2 litre sedan/saloon.. and also different (shorter) oil pump pick up.
On the saloon engines, the oil level on the dipstick equates to approx 4" deep of oil in the sump to be in the 'mid way' position on the dipstick .. this corresponds to Oil level approx 1/2" above the base of the oil pump body.
Given the SP sump is shallower, you probably need +/- 3 1/2" of oil in the sump to be at correct level.. Id think the critical factor is to be sure the oil pump body is immersed by 1/2" above its base plate. Unfortunately I dont have an SP sump or dipstick on hand to measure.. perhaps someone else has and will chime in here.