Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Hardtop Lining

hej

Hardtop Lining

Post by hej »

Does anyone have information on how the SP250 hardtop lining was fitted. I have just had one re painted and need to reline it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Hardtop Lining

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I bought a hardtop relining kit from Bryan Purves (and commandeered our dining room table to fit it on) ....
P1270540.JPG
The kit comes with instructions - that I unfortunately no longer have. It might be worth contacting Bryan. Even if you don't want the kit (which is expensive) he might sell you the instructions.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

There is only one place for an SP250 hard top and that is in the attic or like mine strapped to the rafters where it has been since I bought the car almost 10 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to admit to being a summer driver.

hej

Post by hej »

Vortex O'Plinth wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:36 pm I bought a hardtop relining kit from Bryan Purves (and commandeered our dining room table to fit it on) ....

P1270540.JPG

The kit comes with instructions - that I unfortunately no longer have. It might be worth contacting Bryan. Even if you don't want the kit (which is expensive) he might sell you the instructions.
Thanks Nick

Will give him a try

hej

Post by hej »

Sydsmith wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:09 pm There is only one place for an SP250 hard top and that is in the attic or like mine strapped to the rafters where it has been since I bought the car almost 10 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably do the same myself but do need the satisfaction of completing it.

Thanks

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Sydsmith wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:09 pm There is only one place for an SP250 hard top and that is in the attic or like mine strapped to the rafters where it has been since I bought the car almost 10 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nooooo! A hardtop is great in the winter....to keep warm!

When I re-bought my car after a forty year gap the hardtop lining was loose and a local garage tried to stick back up, but it came loose again in the summer heat.

I had my car restored with a new lining, and the small strips above the windscreen are coming loose, but held by the hardtop clamps, so pay particular attention to the glue used and the application.

hej

Post by hej »

Thanks for the tips and advice

Bud

Post by Bud »

Miss October loves her hardtop.
It's all about the wardrobe, fashion you know, something different to wear.

David S

Post by David S »

And another thing about using a hard top is that it increases security.

David

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

I have a hardtop in use on my SP, mainly as a few years ago it was in regular use as an everyday car to get to work etc. in conjunction with a couple of other 'classics' (AC3000ME & a MkII Mini Cooper), so more weather protection in the winter etc. was appreciated.

The hardtop was re-lined at the same time as some other upholstery work, however about 6 months later the cloth (the original lining was a form of vinyl/plastic) became unattached and dropped, I contacted the upholsterer who came and re-attached at no additional cost, the glue had basically just pulled away some of the backing foam? that was on the underside. That lasted another year or so before the same happened again, I remedied it temporarily (for another year or so) with a bamboo cane across the underside holding up the cloth, although I did develop a slightly odd driving position with my neck bent to one side, and the SP was not used quite so much.

The upholsterer came again and took the roof away, returning in a couple of weeks time, there was a cost this time, however slightly more than anticipated by me, as he had in fact re-done the lining completely, though some 10 years later it is still absolutely fine. The solution he used in the end was to buy a lining where the cloth came pre-fixed/bonded to a backing lining (presumably a foam or similar), so not relying on applied glue and the gravitational effect to pull the cloth down.

Unfortunately I don't know the supplier, or specific name of the final product used, but if I did I would happily recommend its use.

Antony