Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Aluminium protection

Bud

Re: Aluminium protection

Post by Bud »

tjt77

Have any experience with powder coatings?
My intake manifold, my valve covers, pulleys, bumpers, running light surrounds, headlight and tail light surrounds, windshield frame, gas cap, door handles, hardtop rear window and port holes, and more have been powder coated for more than 15 years incurring minimal noticeable failures and I have put nearly 36k mi. on the car if that can be put forth as a reference.
The coatings are in every conceivable place on the car except under the bottom and exposed to all conditions as I do drive my car a lot.
Again most , if not all failures or flaws can just be rebaked away in most cases.
Not in the business, just very satisfied with my results.
Just start as clean and as oil free as possible for desired outcome.
Best results whatever route you take.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Just going back to ACF 50 , it has no similarlity to WD40 at all, and forms an impermeable coating which is ideal for our wet climate in N.Europe. It really only needs to be renewed if the cast alloy is repolished . I should also say that tjt77's advice is no doubt excellent for the USA cold but dry climate zones , but does not protect in the dank European conditions where condensation is the main enemy

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

My experience with powder coating - some good some not.

I had my valve covers highly polished and looked great I then make the mistake of having them clear powder coated in the hope of them being easier to maintain. It turned out not so great and the powder coating place agreed and the process totally repeated [on their dime] -- second time no better, disappointing to say the least. That took place in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania which tends to be on the humdid side. I had made that decision to polish and clear coat based on another set of valve covers on the original engine powder coated in a aluminum colour in Queensland, Australia. They were never shiny but have stayed the same over the last 10 years.

All the other parts I've had powder coated have had up very well, and are a mix of ferrous and non-ferrous metal engine components.

I was tempted to have a third set of valve covers polished and clear powder coated here in the arid Arizona desert but have yet to take that step.

Bud

Post by Bud »

Alternatives readily available.

So putting sealers, polish, and powder coating aside, once rendered to the state of gloss desired on your parts and cleaned with degreasers or prepsol, the magic can begin.
From your local automotive paint supplier / big box hardware store these products are very similar in their results, stay shiny and clean easily.

DUPLI-COLOR...... DE1636 CLEAR GLOSS ENGINE ENAMEL (up tp 500 degrees)
DUPLI-COLOR...... VHT Brand SP145 FLAMEPROOF ENGINE COATING CLEAR GLOSS (up to 500 degrees)
ROST-OLEUM...... Engine Enamel Clear Gloss(up to 500 degrees)

So all these types of products are advertised as being capable of living in the engine compartment successfully, hope this is useful.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I'll say it again : Bud's products may be fine in the rather dry climate of the USA , but will not cope with the dank winter conditions in Europe. With 3 Jaguar XK and 1 Daimler V8 to keep bright and shiny, together with the 10 attendant SU carburetters - 6 HD8 and 4HD6 - ask me how I know ? :D :D

Bud

Post by Bud »

Hang in there Chris, Global warming is coming to save your day.