Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Engine dying after short distance

Ian Hastings

Re: Engine dying after short distance

Post by Ian Hastings »

Have you checked that the vent to the fuel tank is clear?
Next time you go for a run leave the tank cap loose and see if that helps.

Magnor

Post by Magnor »

Hi Ozzsp250,
What leads did you have fitted that failed with the Powerspark unit? I have a set of leads supplied by Barry Thorn with a Powerspark unit. I think Barry's leads are carbon core but not sure? Maybe someone on forum will know.
I am nearing completing the restoration of the car and will soon be able to road test the car. The leads etc seem fine at the moment just running the engine.
Thanks
Clive

wadams

Post by wadams »

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my query it is much appreciated.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

I agree with Ian, after 15 mins of driving my engine cut out due to a blocked vent, worth a look.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Magnor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:17 pm Hi Ozzsp250,
What leads did you have fitted that failed with the Powerspark unit? I have a set of leads supplied by Barry Thorn with a Powerspark unit. I think Barry's leads are carbon core but not sure? Maybe someone on forum will know.
The ignition leads usually supplied by BT specifically for the SP with rubber bungs replacing the original plastic 'spiders', are in fact copper cored - and as has been mentioned in a thread elsewhere, un-suppressed. This is probably not relevant to this particular problem, but is worth noting.

If you have these fitted as supplied, you may not be aware of an interference problem - although your neighbours may well be! I only discovered this when my wife started complaining that every time I took the car out the television went haywire. I swapped my NGK BP6ES plugs for BPR6ES, that incorporate a ceramic resistor, and problem cured. :)
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
We had a problem similar to the cutting out. There was a recall in the 1960's to remove the spring and a ball bearing to allow the petrol tank to breath.
I changed the pump a few times and tried every thing else but once I removed the ball bearing and the spring and made sure the rubber seal on the filler pipe did not seal the vent. This resolved the situation.
Colin

lioneleast

Post by lioneleast »

When was the brake servo air cleaner last cleaned and lubricated? It is supposed to be done every 5000 miles. If not for a along time I suggest you do it and while you have the filter off pour a very small amount of brake fluid down the rubber tube. The tube connects to the vacuum check valve which comprises 2 air valves on a common shaft activated indirectly by the oil pressure in the braking system. Valve A connects the pressure side of the vacuum servo to the suction side and is open when the brakes are not in use. Valve B connects the atmospheric air to the pressure side and is open and valve A is closed when the brakes are used. If the shaft is sticking it is possible for both valves to be partially open and then atmospheric air goes directly to the carburettors weaken the fuel / air mixture and ultimately stalling the engine. To stop this, the air cleaner needs lubricating and then oil vapour is sucked into the valve mechanism.

Lionel

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Magnor [Clive]

Sorry for the delay in reply I've been away at the Rugby Sevens tournament in Las Vegas and elected not to take laptop with me.

I was using the leads from Barry Thorne at the time of module failure and asked Barry if he had any other complaints regarding the leads, he said he did not. I set up two distributors one with points and barry's leads the other with Powerspark module and their leads. Both work fine on the engine stand but I had purchased another module and plan to try the leads supplied by Barry again with the Powerspark module as I question whether the first failure was just infant mortality.

Will follow up once I perform the mixed test.

Dennis

klindsell

Post by klindsell »

I had a similar issue - car would run fine for a specific period and then misfire and cut out, but then start okay go a little further and cut out. Like you and with the help of Daimler Steve, I checked everything, including pressure testing the fuel line etc, taking carbs apart and practically rebuilding the distributor. I don't have electronic ignition. The answer in my case was a simple one: the LT lucar spade on the side of the distributor was slightly out of place and as the car warmed up and foot went down, the distributor advance was moving the plate and it was just touching the LT connection and shorting. Moved the connection slightly and insured it stayed in place and problem was solved.

Kbeal

Post by Kbeal »

Had something similar, a loose connection on the coil
Kevin