Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Engine oil seals; cork or rubber?

Reedweaver

Re: SP250 Engine oil seals; cork or rubber?

Post by Reedweaver »

Ive never used flushing oils or any other type of 'liquid miracle' to be honest.

Taken off another forum:
The difficulty with it is that it can break down sludge that had formed over rubber seals and is actually serving as a secondary engine seal!

It sounds like a good idea on the surface, but once an engine is old enough that a mechanic thinks an engine flush would be a good idea, then it's too late. And if the engine flush is not thought of as a good idea.. it's too early.

The exact timing of when to do an engine flush depends on when the mechanics next Boat Payment is due.

Dart

Post by Dart »

Flushing oils are more trouble than they are worth because they can dislodge pockets of metal filings or sludge which are not disturbed by regular oils. You end up with grinding paste having to go through the pump and bearings a time or two before being captured by your filter.
Also there are a couple of pints of the old oil always trapped in the V below the cam and above the crankshaft which will always contaminate any new fresh oil as soon as it is changed. The trick here is to drill a couple of drain holes in the bottom of the V when the engine is down for a rebuild - that way you get to drain all the oil at a change.

John M

russcarpenter

Post by russcarpenter »

Now John you must know you mustn't drill holes in the bottom of the V for a start it would likely go into the main oil gallery or it will drain the V to the point it would not supply sufficient lubrication for the cam and followers. by the way the V holds a little over 4 pints, if the engine is dry from a re-build the engine holds 16 pints and when you change the oil it holds 12 pints.

wejxf03

Post by wejxf03 »

When I change my oil I drain all the old oil out then when it stops draining I add a couple of more pints and let that drain through.
John Foskett
Kent UK
SP250 B spec.

Reedweaver

Post by Reedweaver »

wejxf03 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:09 pm When I change my oil I drain all the old oil out then when it stops draining I add a couple of more pints and let that drain through.
Great tip!