Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Neoprene tappet cover gaskets

DickSpeedy

Neoprene tappet cover gaskets

Post by DickSpeedy »

Can anyone tell where I can buy neoprene or similar tappet cover gaskets for my Daimler 250 V8?

Thanks, Dick

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Neoprene tappet cover gaskets

Post by Sydsmith »

Dick I assume you mean the rocker cover gaskets?

If that is the case it depends on the type of cover you have, if you are fortunate enough to have those with grooves around the under edge, you need two meters of 3 mm "O" ring material, which can be bought from most motor factors, plus a tube of super glue.

Glue the "O" ring material to have it sitting on top of the grooves and seal the ends together with super glue, start at the top to avoid the join being at the lower edge.

The late Wilf Stevens suggested this mod many years ago and my rocker covers have never leaked since.

If you don't have the grooves, a machine shop should be able to machine them in for you, make them 2.5 mm wide and about the same deep. Syd

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

If you want to fit the conventional type then a silicone rubber replacement can be bought from Barry Thorne or David Manners Group.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

DickSpeedy

Post by DickSpeedy »

Thank you guys for the information. I have spent the last two days talking to David Manners who have informed me that they do not supply the silicon rocker cover gaskets. However, I have found a company in Johannesburg who is making me 8 of the silicon gaskets from my cork gasket sample. They use a laser to cut the material accurately. I should have them back by Friday.

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Out of interest I had a company in the USA do the same for me from silicone sheet, never a leak since.