Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Radiator Removal

SP250 Radiator Removal

Post by #100910 »

Can the radiator be removed with fan extension and cross member in place?
The fan blade has been removed, but I can't seem to find the magic angle to allow extraction.
Repair manual states "remove two hoses, four bolts, all done".
Access to the bolt heads on the inside of the extension is tight, so thought better to ask first.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: SP250 Radiator Removal

Post by Ian Slade »

Yes, but it's a long time since I did it, I assume you have removed the fan extension tube from the crankshaft damper
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Post by #100910 »

I thank you Ian for the undeserved courtesy of an "I assume".
The task was 40+ years in my rear view also.
Resolved : There will be no redemption with the fan extension in place.
Ratcheting on the generator nut allows the crank to be turned for optimal access to each bolt.
Once one has made their peace with its seven securing nuts and applied liberal encouragement with BMC special tool no. 88G329 the extension can be moved to one side and the radiator easily tugged without removing the suspension tower cross member.

A mug'o Ballast Point's 'Victory At Sea' is the reward for an initial success in the conquest of the cooling system.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

I always removed the extension tube with the fan easier to turn the engine, then finally left it off when I fitted a home made pusher fan forward of the radiator.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.