Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

250 v8 rear hub removal (i hope)

silverdart

Re: 250 v8 rear hub removal (i hope)

Post by silverdart »

Over the years I have removed numerous rear hubs with this bit of home made kit.
I never need to use a hammer but as you can see the allen key has been quite taxed.
I just attach it to two of the studs and use a small spacer to prevent damage to the half shaft end.
Then a 4ft. long heavy tube provides the necessary force to release the taper.
My jig is for a 4-stud hub but surely a wider leg to encompass 2 studs on one side would keep the allen screw centralized.
IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1788.JPG
Dave

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, when I went over to wires I used this bit of kit from an old jaguar 15" wheel, it did the job on both my V8 and jag mk2 after a few turns and leaving overnight. I used no Heat but just leave the hub nut on and stand clear until it goes bang. I tried lots of other pullers to no avail, changed the seal and retainer at the same time. tony
PHOT0115 (Medium).jpeg
PHOT0120 (Medium).jpeg
[attachment=2]
Attachments
PHOT0121 (Medium).jpeg

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Hi Tony, this could be the answer to my prayers, is that a length of scaffolding tube welded onto the wheel and what did you use for the screw regards Brian

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, will have a look in my shed, think it was 22mm studding with nuts and a steel pipe but was very strongly welded inside and out by the wheel flange area. will get back to you when I find it. tony

wadams

Post by wadams »

Hi
My late father in law was an engineer and he made his own puller. It consists of a standard four hole pipe flange, a reducer and a 22mm nut and bolt welded together. We used a large socket breaker bar and scaffolding pole along with a lot of grunt and it worked!
I would send a picture but I’m not sure how to add it to this reply😔

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Hi Wadams, I would really like to see you fathers hub puller, if you take a picture of it ,save it to a folder on your desk top, then when you reply to this post , at the bottom of the page click attachments, guide it to your desk top folder, and click open ,One of the members might explain it better than me,have a go thanks

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

To show a photo or image in a reply, open a Reply Topic window, click Attachments below left of the post window, then click Add files which will open your computer's file list, highlight a file (preferably in a .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp or .gif format), click Open at the bottom of the window, wait for it to upload and it should show the filename in the original post page, put the cursor in the post where you want the photo and click Place inline which will add the filename inside [ attachment] [ /attachment] code. You can Add files several times. (There is also a quicker option by dragging a highlighted file into the message box but it still seems to end up in the list below waiting for you to click Place inline.) Then Submit the post. You don't need to use [ URL] [ /URL] or [ IMG] [ /IMG] tags.

If the upload shows a message that the image is too large, it may be size in pixels or file size in KiB (3 MB or 3000 KiB at 24/02/2016). Size in px is unlimited at 24/02/2016 but 800 x 600 px is quite sufficient for a website. Most computers have image software that can resize images and save with a .jpg or a .jpeg extension. Windows computers have "Paint" (search for mspaint.exe or paint.exe or Paint if you can't find the program).

http://forum.dloc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=117

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Thanks John, Thats nice and clear, I am always a bit unsure when trying to post a picture

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Well to date the hub is still firmly embedded. However, I have laid siege to it, Attacking it with fire. (oxy Acet), Vibration(two big hammers striking simultaneously) like the walls of Jericho, and as much pressure as my 3 prong puller can handle. Been a week now, and getting weary, but, I have found a guy who has a puller, which was specially made, and cast in a furnace with "spells and incantations", and he says it has never failed to remove the dreaded rear hub. I will ride my trusty steed to his door, and enlist this tool in my siege.
The saga continues. I do hope the story has a happy ending.

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, think I lent this puller out to somebody as I can't find it now, I remember the design but it took a lot of force to remove the hubs, which went with a load bang, and both the rear hub nuts cracked in half from the force of the pressure applied so something to be wary of. hope you get it sorted as it's a POAJ but rarely easy. Tony