Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Petrol Smell

rogerharrop

Petrol Smell

Post by rogerharrop »

Hello All,
I have a petrol smell in the boot. I have all new pipes everywhere, checked them all. Made sure the filler neck gives space for it to vent (there's no breather pipe as such is there?)

There's no sign of any leakage anywhere.

Any ideas please?
Roger

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Petrol Smell

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Assuming we're talking about an SP I'm tempted to say this is a characteristic of the car rather than a problem - a significant percentage of owners have encountered the same condition.

The SU pump has a vent pipe that is not connected to anything, and fumes are vented to the boot area. Run a pipe from the vent to the outside and the smell should disappear.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

rogerharrop

Post by rogerharrop »

Thanks Nick / hopefully that’s a relief!

Flinty

Post by Flinty »

I have a similar problem but my vent hole is just a hole and no hose spigot plus I have a small amount of petrol coming out of the vent hole which I think suggests that I have a leaking diaphragm.
Can anyone recommend a better fuel pump or should I replace the SU on a like for like basis.
I am still on positive earth.
Sorry Roger if I appear to be hijacking your post but I think you have your answer.

Steve.

rogerharrop

Post by rogerharrop »

Absolutely no probs Steve!

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I agree with everything that has been said so far. My SP has always had that irritating smell of petrol when the boot is opened even though I leave it propped when in the garage. I have tried all the usual tricks and tips but that smell is still there.

I also agree with Roger, the old SU has a bit of a reputation, but when you think a million Morris minors and millions more 50's and 60's cars had one fitted there are going to be a few duffers about, but they are really easy to fix and rebuild kits and rebuilt units are readily available at reasonable cost. As are electronic conversions. Syd

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Putting a positive spin on things; I think the smell of fuel, oil, grease, leather and Wilton makes a great sensory combination and is what defines a classic car. They all have a distinct smell but they certainly all smell beautiful.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

rogerharrop

Post by rogerharrop »

I’m with you Andy!

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

And perhaps an old electrical bakelite smell thrown into the mix. I like the way classics have their distinctive aromas. My A90 Westminster smells completely different to my Conquests and is a joy to breathe in every time I open the door. Vinyl upholstered cars have a different mix of ingredients but are equally distinctive on the nose.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Is there any danger of the fumes exploding if there is a spark from the petrol pump?
I assume the pump is sealed, but perhaps not well enough. :shock: